Florida Thoughts

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by CardinalVol, Sep 17, 2023.

1. HCKevinSteele

HCKevinSteele Well-Known Member

Before the game I was willing to consider the possibility they need to move on from Milton, but I was far from sure of it. Now I am sure of it. He simply cannot get it done. You’ve got a stud sitting behind him, get the kid ready and make the switch.

A-Smith and NorrisAlan like this.
  2. Tar Volon

Tar Volon Me Blog @RockyTopTalk.com

Yeah, the “if not now, then when” question is driving a lot of the negative reaction. Like I know you play a crap game sometimes, but when are we going to Gainesville and not playing a crap game? We haven’t done so in my adult life.

3. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

Milton’s simply not a good enough playmaker.

4. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

The rest of the season will show whether Heupel is too much a player's coach and whether he will be willing to make some staff decisions and changes that need making.

5. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Martinez is on the last year of his contract, I don't see an extension

6. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

Yeah, I had forgotten that.

7. NYY

NYY Super Moderator

He’s gotta go.

TDVol1989, SetVol13 and warhammer like this.
  8. zehr27

zehr27 8th's VIP

If he gets extended we have the wrong guy.

9. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

Sampson posted this.

Attached Files:

10. KyleAlexanderfan

KyleAlexanderfan Well-Known Member

Not great. Between that, the Beasley comment and some of the stuff Basilio has been saying looks like we have some locker room problems.

11. Tar Volon

Tar Volon Me Blog @RockyTopTalk.com

Hadn’t heard of Beasley stuff. I guess you always hear rumors of locker room stuff whenever you lose, but Heupel has a new test this year without that leadership group from 2022.

12. Ssmiff

What did Beasley say?

13. Ssmiff

Sampson has to get 8-12 touches. I don’t care if we don’t want the defense to sub. Get him in the game.

14. KyleAlexanderfan

KyleAlexanderfan Well-Known Member

There’s a clip floating around. Said they weren’t disciplined then there was a follow up to that asking if he was surprised that they weren’t. He said he wasn’t surprised.

15. LawVol16

LawVol16 Member

Take anything Basilio says with an entire shaker of salt. Sure, he hears things, but he repeats everything he hears, whether valid or not, and he’s always looking to manufacture drama.

utvol0427, warhammer and NorrisAlan like this.
  16. SetVol13

SetVol13 Contributor

He warned people about the offensive line and the offense since summer camp. Sure, he’s got a show to entertain for but he isn’t as out of the loop as many people think.

17. Ssmiff

He knew we would be down 2 starters?

18. SetVol13

SetVol13 Contributor

I mean everyone knew Mays was gonna be out a while no matter what Heupel said. He was talking in summer/fall camp about how our interior OL was a problem according to people he had talked to and that we couldn’t afford an injury to Mays. That seems pretty accurate looking back at it now.

19. LawVol16

LawVol16 Member

Took me a day and half to even process enough to check message boards and Twitter. The most disappointing thing is that it’s apparent this team isn’t who we thought they were going into the season. The optimistic part is that they still have a chance to get there and no one else in the SEC is who we though they were either.

Right now, interior OL, secondary, defensive philosophy are the biggest issues in some order. I hate to rag on kids that are simply talent-deficient, but we can’t win SEC games with Ollie Lane at center. Too many penalties and he gets blown up at the point of attack on almost every play. I’m not sure what we have on offense because even with our RB room, we’re struggling to run against light boxes.

As others have said, Banks identity (or lack thereof), is causing major issues. You can count on one hand the number of former Volunteer DL capable of disrupting an offense quickly enough to derail 3rd and 4 when the DC is content to sit in soft zone and rush 4. Amazingly, the defense has looked much better under Banks when they actually bring pressure (and I’m talking DL games/twists, etc., not just blitzes).

In my opinion, Milton is catching too much of the blame. Don’t misunderstand me, he definitely has room to operate the offense better, but he’s far from the biggest impediment to winning football games that matter. With the OL and defense, it would have taken Hooker’s best performance to win that game and I’m not sure that would have done (see ‘22 SC).

My biggest concern with Heupel is figuring out how to get the offense operational in hostile road environments. Say what you will about Milton, but the procedural penalties, slowed tempo, and overall lack of execution didn’t look any different than UGA last year.

Memtownvol and Ssmiff like this.
  20. LawVol16

LawVol16 Member

That was also a pretty commonly accepted opinion going into the season. This isn’t a Bama situation where the rest of the media was pumping them as the best line in CFB and Basilio was saying “hold up, wait a minute.”

I’m not suggesting that Basilio is completely out of the loop. He obviously hears things, but there’s an adage that says when your hear hoof beats, think horses not zebras. Basilio’s problem is that he hears zebras because zebras draw listeners to his show and eyeballs to his webpage.