Georgia Thoughts

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by CardinalVol, Nov 18, 2023.

1. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

I’m just hoping that, for whatever reason, playing Nico just wasn’t an option this year. Something like the “parents demanded he redshirt” story. Something that took it out of his hands.

2. VOLinDAWGland

VOLinDAWGland Contributor

That guy might be the HC of South Florida.

Memtownvol likes this.
  3. PilotFlyingJ

PilotFlyingJ Chieftain

He definitely was but him being gone doesn't mean that he can't go out and upgrade his staff. He needs someone he knows he can turn to and I don't think it's on that sideline right now.

VOLinDAWGland likes this.
  4. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

-Milton is limited to slants, bombs and quick hitch. Running game a non threat.
    -the 1st half defensive stats vs UF, MO and GA are beyond absurd. Rough guess is 51/60 passing and 23/30 3rd downs.
    -look forward to seeing nico. Next year. I agree in this situation in a meaningless and winnable game at this point in the year, it’s not worth it and the way things are going, it’s almost a given he’s injured. I don’t generally think that way so I get those who don’t like it, but we seldom have so much riding on one player.
    -every team we play has Wrs wide open on every play. If we have separation, it’s on a slant. That’s it. We don’t have guys open, especially when compared to our competition.
    -I’m tired of not being able to roll out and getting misdirection passes to TEs or others on easy little passes after the lbs have leaned with the PA.
    -we played a white safety and white lb most of the game. Always trouble in the SEC when you see that. Just sayin.

5. Ssmiff

…and among the whole list, Sampson with 3 touches today. Same thing as UF and MO.

utvol0427 likes this.
  6. MaconVol

MaconVol Chieftain

Seriously beginning to wonder if Heupel is the answer. I do think there is a lot of merit to three things though.
    1. Our senior and junior classes are bad.
    2. Joe Milton is as bad as he could possibly be at running an offense.
    3. The defense is so awful. Banks and Martinez have to go.

VOLinDAWGland likes this.
  7. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

Yeah, the senior class was full of defections from players we paid in McDonald's bags and the junior class is the one Heupel had to sign in about a month. I think we'll still be affected, somewhat, next year, but 2025 is a full compliment of good recruits and should be the decider season on Heupel.

8. Duckman

Duckman Chieftain

This is simply not a good team. 0 quality wins and some really crap losses this year.

It felt like like we never reached a point where we were clicking on all cylinders this year. Milton didn't lose us games, but he has definitely been a limitation.

I have liked Huepel, but if we don't significantly improve in the next two seasons we need to fire up the search party again.

9. Duckman

Duckman Chieftain

I can't figure out the Sampson deal. I understand his touches may be limited due to blocking concerns, but 3 touches in a game is creeping up into coaching malpractice territory.

10. Ssmiff

3 games are all exact repeats of each other, including Milton, Sampson, making it easy on other qb and giving up 75% 3rd downs.

PilotFlyingJ likes this.
  11. KyleAlexanderfan

KyleAlexanderfan Well-Known Member

I would rather find out now if he's terrible.

12. PilotFlyingJ

PilotFlyingJ Chieftain

It's bizarre. In regards to Sampson, it's inexcusable that he was the 3rd RB in the rotation today. This staff prioritizing upperclassman with less talent in the age of the portal will come back to bite them.

13. Volsdude

Volsdude Well-Known Member

Just home from the game. We averaged over 5 yards a carry (including Joes sack yardage), why the hell did we throw the ball every 3rd and short

14. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

I’m not sure it matters. If he’s terrible, we are [uck fay]ed.

15. VolDad

VolDad Super Moderator

Let Joe play the first series or two so that he has his Senior moment. Then it should be Nico time for then out.

NorrisAlan likes this.
  16. Tar Volon

Tar Volon Me Blog @RockyTopTalk.com

It was Alabama, and both “very questionable spots” were 4th and 1, one at our own 34 and one at our own 47.

I don’t think it’s a coincidence that our first three punts against Georgia were after trying (and failing) to convert through the air on 3rd and 3, 3rd and 3, and 3rd and 2.

Seems like we’re at a point where nobody in the stadium believes we can pick up two yards on the ground when we need it. The fans know we can’t do it, the coaches know we can’t do it, and the other teams know we can’t do it.

This has been a big criticism of the Air Raid since the thing was invented. Yeah, spreading out bad teams will work, but you have to be able to buckle down and get a yard sometimes. If you can’t do it, your offense has a tendency to implode against good defenses.

Last year, Heupel coached like he could get two yards whenever he wanted it. This year, he tried to bring that aggressiveness in Tuscaloosa (and I will again remind everyone that we brought it in the game-planning department and legit punched Alabama in the mouth), but when it came to those short yardage situations, it wasn’t even close. And since then, it feels like he just doesn’t think the run game can get anything unless the defense is off balance. Which means you can’t trust the run on third and short. And if you can’t trust the run on third and short, and you don’t have a great passer, and you’ve lost your top three receivers from last year and your hotshot transfer…how do you gameplan around that?

We did pretty well on the ground against Kentucky, but the Alabama second half and the whole games the last two weeks have just been a show of no confidence.

17. zehr27

zehr27 8th's VIP

Disagree. If he goes out and looks good at Candy and wins a bowl game it gives us a ton of momentum going into next year.

NorrisAlan likes this.
  18. IP

IP Super Moderator

Explain to me the redshirt situation. If he plays any more, he loses it?

19. Ssmiff

He can play 1 more game. Seems kinda silly to worry about it with expectations but I suppose holding onto a year of eligibility is a good thing. We aren’t a good enough team to support Nico for him to have won one of our 4 Ls.

20. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

He can play in 4, not counting bowl