New NCAA Investigation…

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by JT5, Jan 30, 2024.

1. IP

IP Super Moderator

I was just saying that because many things in Virginia shift wildly between administrations. This hasn't and will not. There is a shared vision of leaving these young people free to hustle.

warhammer likes this.
  2. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

[​IMG]

3. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

Yeah. VA is a little different. It's just this is one issue where most people agree. We don't see that often.

I actually wonder if it would have divided more along traditional major party lines if each big party had taken a side early on.

4. Power_T16

Power_T16 Chieftain

The only divide on this is fans of the sport/common sense vs sports "journalists" in a dieing industry that are mouthpieces for the NCAA to try to keep themselves relevant.

5. zehr27

zehr27 8th's VIP

Cake job with good pay.

PilotFlyingJ likes this.
  6. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

I think one thing that needs to be exorcised from college athletics is the notion of amateurism. I get that the average cross country runner isn't going to get the same money from his or her sport as someone who plays football or basketball, but shouldn't we be wanting that person to? Where does this notion that college sports need to be amateur sports come from?

Memtownvol and NorrisAlan like this.
  7. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

Interesting

8. NorrisAlan

It is a 19th century notion of nobility when even practicing could be deemed as morally questionable. The Cincinnati Reds had the AUDACITY to pay their baseball club in the 1860s. The NFL was seen as a lesser product until the 1950s and amateur golf was still king in the 1920s/1930s because it was "pure" vs the mercenary players in the PGA.

9. NorrisAlan

[​IMG]

10. IP

IP Super Moderator

Oh boy.

Memtownvol, warhammer and NorrisAlan like this.
  11. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

Maybe the most important development so far big picture

12. JT5

JT5 Super Moderator

We really did kill the NCAA….

13. OneForVol

OneForVol Well-Known Member

It’s almost like everyone was just waiting for the right time for the NCAA to screw up.

NorrisAlan likes this.
  14. Volgrad98

Volgrad98 Contributor

ncaa officials right about now..

gif won't show

(insert burning .gif here)

15. yont sum iss?

yont sum iss? Contributor

What a useless institution the NCAA is.

utvol0427 likes this.
  16. dknash

dknash Chieftain

EA waited too long, gonna have to release SEC/Big Ten Football Jamboree 2024 instead

17. NorrisAlan

[​IMG]

A-Smith, utvol0427 and Volgrad98 like this.
  18. Poppa T

Poppa T Vol Geezer

The history of amateurism (and why) has morphed over time, especially in the U.S. I suspect like anything "scholars" and "defenders" each have their rationizations as to why it is needed and must continue.

From what I can tell, the concept took hold in the timeframe that @NorrisAlan indicated.

Here is one take, if you get through the Rutgers BS at the front.

https://www.wbur.org/onlyagame/2017/10/13/ncaa-amateurism-origins-history

It was driven by class in Europe and as it moved to America the "arguments" defending it morphed.

Imo, the main reason today is money/power for those controlling the concept rather than education and fairness.

The old days have changed. Things must change. This not limited to college sports.

19. Poppa T

Poppa T Vol Geezer

They killed themself.

Tenacious D likes this.
  20. IP

IP Super Moderator

I have no idea, nothing about university/college is amateur but that.