New NCAA Investigation…

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by JT5, Jan 30, 2024.

1. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

Solution - we've had enough of this and we're off to do our own thing. We'll call some of you if we decide we need you.

2. Volgrad98

Volgrad98 Contributor

ACC - "Can I come too guys?" (In a little brother voice)

3. IP

IP Super Moderator

If I had to guess, they'll lay things out such that the rest can be bled away.

utvol0427 likes this.
  4. CardinalVol

Wasn't exactly what I was expecting would happen today, but it'll work.

[​IMG]

SetVol13 and NorrisAlan like this.
  5. IP

IP Super Moderator

Does that mean this is going to constant dropping of shoes for the NCAA?

6. VOLinDAWGland

VOLinDAWGland Contributor

Comes from the institutions' desires not to share revenue and probably avoid other laws/liabilities of paying athletes.

7. CardinalVol

They should probably regroup over the weekend and come out with a new plan on Monday.

8. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

What they should do:

[​IMG]

What they end up doing in their infinite wisdom:
    [​IMG]

CardinalVol likes this.
  9. IP

IP Super Moderator

It's too late, man. I think they crossed the Rubicon. State AG's are involved. I didn't realize the DOJ was involved in the transfer restrictions suit already, don't be surprised to see the DOJ get involved with this too.

10. CardinalVol

Saw yesterday the AA currently is defendant in at least five (5) antitrust suits.

Ours just so happens to be the one that can end them.

Memtownvol and justingroves like this.
  11. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

The NCAA has really painted themselves into a corner. There's no way out of this without it getting messy. They'll lose what little face they have, but their best course of action here is probably to either offer a nothing burger punishment quicky and try to make it all go away or draw it out as long as possible (even longer than normal) in hopes that they can somehow gain control of the narrative and become noble victims. The latter is dumber, but it could work to their favor in the lawsuits as it might make it harder to show that anyone has been subject to damages among the parties currently involved if they don't perform any actual enforcement of their retroactive, conceived by a minority of the body rules.

12. NorrisAlan

UT is not taking a token punishment.

Memtownvol, SetVol13 and justingroves like this.
  13. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

Didn't say it would work.

NorrisAlan likes this.
  14. NorrisAlan

Late stage mafia after the money makers have been decriminalized.

15. PilotFlyingJ

PilotFlyingJ Chieftain

[​IMG]

tvolsfan, SetVol13, utvol0427 and 3 others like this.
  16. NorrisAlan

From the comments section of the above piece (not promoting the piece, just wanted to credit the comment):
    "NCAA has turned college sports into semi pro. They should give Jim Thorpe his gold metals back. He was just a man ahead of his time. All major colleges should refuse to play in any playoff games. What’s happened is an insult to the people that have to pay for there education. Scholarship player are already getting a free education, free room and board with all they can eat free. I have already stoped watching pro football because of players disrespecting our flag by taking a knee. I will stop watching college ball. It has become just like the government, nothing but greed and corruption. No pride in it, just whoever can buy the best team"

I mention this because to some friends I was talking about a guy I work with that basically regurgitated the above verbatim to me (sans the Thorpe comment, which is dumb, because Thorpe already got his medals returned ). And I find it hilarious.

17. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

I feel sorry for the kid who steps on his lawn.

NorrisAlan likes this.
  18. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

So how tied to the Tennessee response and TN/VA court case is the SEC/Big10 announcement?

I think we all want to say that it is a united front with a planned response, but are we fooling ourselves if we do?

19. NorrisAlan

I think UT formed a beachhead and everyone with a grievance is sending their landing craft to that beach.

20. gcbvol

gcbvol Fabulous Moderator

Pretty likely this was already in the works, but our stuff may have expedited putting it out there. Jmo.

warhammer and NorrisAlan like this.