The 2024 hype-filled make not make it until opening kickoff thread

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by CardinalVol, Jan 3, 2024.

1. TennTradition

TennTradition Super Moderator

Yeah, Kansas.

2. doolmeonce

doolmeonce Member

3. HCKevinSteele

HCKevinSteele Well-Known Member

I’m not gonna crap on this or anything, personally I’m a Randy Boyd fan. But I think overall it would just be better not to say this. 25 years of that salary wouldn’t be material to Boyd’s wealth.

IP likes this.
  4. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

You still aren’t going to find many people willing to forego a million a year. I’ve had dealings with mega millionaires that would argue to the death over differences of less than $30.

5. IP

IP Super Moderator

Y'all are both right, haha

Memtownvol and HCKevinSteele like this.
  6. HCKevinSteele

HCKevinSteele Well-Known Member

That’s why I’m not out and out crapping on it. You are absolutely right. I just don’t love it. Plus you never want to give anyone in media any incentive whatsoever to go snooping around in shit. I’m not saying there’s anything untoward to find, but it’s a somewhat unusual deal having your President be a non-academic who has his hands in a lot of different things. Hell it was the PE firm the BOT Chair is a partner at that bought Boyd’s company.

7. justingroves

justingroves supermod

I know a few millionaires that are so tight they squeak when they walk

10SEvols likes this.
  8. zehr27

zehr27 8th's VIP

The more money you have the more you want and protect it.

9. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

Really depends on the person.

most millionaires I personally know you’d never know they were millionaires. They’re just hard ass working dudes that’s not flashy.

I know quite a few people that like to give off I got money vibe though that will for sure [uck fay] you over.

Memtownvol and justingroves like this.
  10. IP

IP Super Moderator

A millionaire isn't all that much these days. A millionaire takes the salary.

11. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

A millionaire with a true million or more on hand is still something.

Now if you just count assets, yeah not what it use to be due to us debasing the currency.

10SEvols likes this.
  12. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

People that love to flash it probably have a million of assets but just as much on the debt side too.

I've dealt with several of all types. Had a meeting with one this morning. Usually the harder they worked to earn it the more humble they are....to a point. Haven't pegged the $$$ amount yet but there's a point where they become pricks. Boyd is the exception to his wealth level, not the rule.

zehr27 and justingroves like this.
  13. IP

IP Super Moderator

I think you are on to something about the harder it was, the more humble.

There is a middle ground that I find obnoxious where it took some work but they think everyone else must just be too lazy.

Memtownvol, A-Smith and justingroves like this.
  14. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

Yeah. I've dealt with several that will help anyone who needs legit help, but they disdain hand-me-outs to people fully capable of taking care of themselves.

I've also seen a couple that were becoming pricks that had a deal go bad and get knocked back to reality.

justingroves likes this.
  15. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

I think a lot of it stems from watching low earners enjoy luxuries they put off until they’d made it and then complain about not having any money. Most of your self made millionaires had to defer a lot of the nicer things.

16. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

Biggest thing is don’t get caught up with modern culture and let driving a car and a lifestyle keep you broke.

a significant number of millionaires aren’t ever even high earners.

Memtownvol likes this.
  17. zehr27

zehr27 8th's VIP

Wealth is quite, rich is loud and poor is flashy

justingroves and PilotFlyingJ like this.
  18. zehr27

zehr27 8th's VIP

This is spot on.

19. Poppa T

Poppa T Vol Geezer

Not claiming to be a "self made millionaire", but the wife and I ate alot of dried beans in our younger married life and both worked while sharing 1 car for a long time, so we could enjoy our later life and hopefully not be a burden to our kids.

Memtownvol and justingroves like this.
  20. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain