POLITICS Inflation /General Finance Insanity

Discussion in 'Politicants' started by HCKevinSteele, Oct 30, 2022.

1. HCKevinSteele

HCKevinSteele Well-Known Member

The industry is racing towards a tsunami of catastrophic accounting scandals, imo. Nothing about it is sustainable.

2. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

Yup. I’m not sure what the point is but there’s going to be one.

HCKevinSteele likes this.
  3. HCKevinSteele

It’s a matter of if not when, but the question I’m batting around in my head is if our country has unraveled too much for it to matter? There’s all kinds of bad/corrupt/illegal things happening that wouldn’t have been tolerated 20,30,40+ years ago. Would an Enron type scandal move the needle that much now? I honestly don’t know.

4. CardinalVol

Oh yeah, an Enron would. Don't know if a HealthSouth would, but Enron? Absolutely.

HCKevinSteele likes this.
  5. HCKevinSteele

HealthSouth is the better example

6. CardinalVol

HealthSouth was good ol fraud. It’d made headlines but we’d not been talking about it 20+ years later had it not happened around Enron.

7. HCKevinSteele

After seeing your other post I thought of the better example of a comparable to what’s happening to public accounting - it’s Boeing.

CardinalVol likes this.
  8. CardinalVol

Very similar sketchiness for sure.

9. HCKevinSteele

10. emainvol

emainvol Administrator

utvol0427 likes this.
  11. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

Ruth’s Chris is pretty mediocre too.

VolDad and emainvol like this.
  12. zehr27

zehr27 8th's VIP

Longhorn yes but I like me some endless soup, salad and bread sticks.

13. HCKevinSteele

Haha, I think I can count on one hand the times I’ve eaten at either and it was never by choice, so I don’t totally disagree with you. But the possibility of a recession makes me nervous and while this could mean nothing, in a vacuum it’s not a great sign.

14. IP

IP Super Moderator

One day the recession fears will be right. People have been giddy for one for 3 years.

NorrisAlan likes this.
  15. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

Knoxville Ruth’s Chris wasn’t impressive at all last 2 times and too expensive. Don’t plan on going back

16. IP

IP Super Moderator

I am guessing menu price increases have a lot to do with it.

17. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

This might kind of hard to explain because I didn’t really get the phenomenon, but people think that, based on the name recognition alone, it’s some kind of special place or worthy of special occasions. I have several friends that go there for those occasions, and whatever, it’s their money, not mine, but it’s really just mediocre food with jacked up prices because of the name alone. Maybe it just a “look at us, we fancy” thing. I don’t know.

I’m continually baffled by those friends though, especially in West Knox, who are willing to drive all the way downtown just to overpay with Connor’s practically in their backyard. Ye Olde isn’t anywhere close to what it used to be in its hey day, but it’s infinitely better than Ruth’s Chris too.

SetVol13, justingroves and IP like this.
  18. zehr27

zehr27 8th's VIP

If you want a good steak go to Jack Ruby's. Probably the closest one for you is Cincy unfortunately.

19. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

You mean Jeff? I don’t think Jack Ruby’s place is open anymore, for reasons…

But yes, it is pretty good. I’ve been to the one in Nashville before. I would consider them a regional chain like, Connor’s. My preference is always going to be to find a more localish type steak house but the regional type joints are acceptable. Connor’s is better than Ye Olde as far as Knoxville goes.

Unfortunately, once you visit a couple in Texas, it’s hard to find something else that stacks up. I’ve essentially spoiled myself. Same goes for Mexican food. We used to go all the time for it around here, but since we went to a legit joint in Ft Worth, neither of us have craved it here.

20. TennTradition

TennTradition Super Moderator

6 years is more like it