POLITICS Inflation /General Finance Insanity

Discussion in 'Politicants' started by HCKevinSteele, Oct 30, 2022.

1. zehr27

zehr27 8th's VIP

Yeah Jeff, they have become a bit more of a regional chain but they have a great cut of beef and I really like their sides. I have another place I like better that is local to me that has some of the best dry aged steaks I have ever had and that is including my trips to Texas. Texas does have the best selection of different places with great steaks, J-Prime in Austin is one of my favorites. They have octopus ceviche which is killer.

2. zehr27

zehr27 8th's VIP

I would say closer to 8. The end of Obama's term was doom.

3. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

Ill not complain about spending money on a meal with great service. we don’t do it very often but when we do it can’t be average. Wait for food was too long and not many tables filled. Sons steak was still mooing and we think they just nuked it for 45 seconds and brought it back. Lobster Mac and cheese was like $36 and was 99/1 ratio in favor of Mac and cheese. And frankly I cook a better steak and probably use a higher grade filet when I do. Wouldn’t be surprised if they are getting meat at a lower price than places who know how to cook a steak and not just impress people with a hot ass plate and butter sizzling.
    Cuck Fuths Rhris

4. IP

IP Super Moderator

Lobster mac and cheese can be made at home for very little money. You can get a tail for 8 or 9 bucks, and a couple of those (and use the shell to flavor the water the noodles are boiled in) plus some extra cheese... Can make enough to feed a whole family and with leftovers that is just as good, for what you pay for a single meal out.

emainvol likes this.
  5. emainvol

emainvol Administrator

I’ve honestly never been. Couple friends told me the mashed potatoes are good though

6. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

Says a lot about a steak house if folks are only telling you about the sides.

emainvol likes this.
  7. bostonvol

bostonvol Chieftain

They opened a Jeff Ruby's here in Lexington in 2019. I've been there quite a few times since then, and each time has been a great experience.

zehr27 likes this.
  8. VolDad

VolDad Super Moderator

I recommend Hal's Steak House in Atlanta, Killen's Steakhouse in The Woodlands TX, and Roaring Fork in Austin TX

9. dknash

dknash Chieftain

Tough to beat the Corral. Any of those places have a Chocolate Wonderfall?

10. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

I’d eat the hell out of an overcooked Bonanza ribeye with A1 sauce right now.

11. VolDad

VolDad Super Moderator

I used to eat up their beef tips with mushroom gravy.

12. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

Golden Corral definitely buys their ribeyes from the 99 ribeyes for $99 guys on John Sevier Hwy.

13. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

Yeah, Texas is probably more the bar than they are the end all be all. I go to places knowing it’s probably going to be below Texas and am pleasantly surprised when it’s not.

zehr27 likes this.
  14. emainvol

emainvol Administrator

I had a couple good steaks at local places in Nashville, but I generally just cook my own with sous vide and a blow torch

justingroves likes this.
  15. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

Sous vide is the best way to make sure you get the most even and perfect temp. I’m a big fan of that method.

16. VolDad

VolDad Super Moderator

Buy a Prime Steak from Costco. About 1 hour before cooking place the bottom on a bed of Rock Salt (like you use for making ice cream). Cover the top with Rock Salt. When you are ready to cook, rinse and pat dry. The Rock Salt acts like a tenderizer. It makes a steak as good as any steakhouse.

zehr27 likes this.
  17. zehr27

zehr27 8th's VIP

I have been kicking around trying this at home. It seems like it would be easy but I doubt it is. Probably something you have to dial in over time.

18. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

It’s really easy.

19. zehr27

zehr27 8th's VIP

How do you check temp? I'm assuming you don't want to puncture the bag the steak is in.

20. emainvol

emainvol Administrator

You don’t have to. You just set the water to the temp you want, so it’s impossible to overcook. It sits in the water for long enough that it simply gets to the same temp as the water

Then you take it out, pat it dry and sear it either on a pan or grill or if you want to go wild, with a propane torch and this attachment www.bookeranddax.com/searzall. It looks gimmicky but I swear it’s awesome

The Dooz likes this.