POLITICS Random Political/Legal

Discussion in 'Politicants' started by fl0at_, Jun 7, 2021.

1. peelwonder

peelwonder Member

"Mostly Peaceful" LOL

2. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

Death to America! But can you pay off my student loans first?

3. HCKevinSteele

HCKevinSteele Well-Known Member

I think dumbass students should continue protesting as long as they want so long as it’s peaceful, and universities should continue to suspend/expel the dumbass students that obviously deserve it.

NorrisAlan likes this.
  4. IP

IP Super Moderator

can I get a link to something on this? I see whiny chanting of fascism (ironic) and linked-arm pushing, but not like setting stuff on fire or fighting. Arrest any violent ones, for sure.

5. HCKevinSteele

Honestly I think the narrative is just inflated in the media because of who they’re protesting for/against. And because it’s at Ivies/other elite universities. If it were the exact same behavior but the issue was occupy Wall Street-esque, or even something hotter like abortion, I don’t think we’d see this level of visceral reaction.

Edit: Inflated in the media, but also inflated in the broader public discourse on twitter and elsewhere.

6. IP

IP Super Moderator

I get that things can go from "disagree with Israeli policy" to antisemitism disturbingly fast, but ya, they aren't the same thing.

There needs to be some off ramp to a peaceful stable solution.

7. HCKevinSteele

Yep. Unfortunately I think the discourse on this just devolves far too easily and even if everyone had the best of intentions I’m not sure it can be helped. Both sides are right and both sides are wrong.

8. zehr27

zehr27 8th's VIP

How do you feel about blocking a bridge?

9. zehr27

zehr27 8th's VIP

10. IP

IP Super Moderator

Blocking a bridge or major road way is dangerous and indiscriminate. They don't know who they are hurting by doing it and LE should remove them if they refuse to obey lawful commands. They can protest beside the roads or in public spaces. In fact, we probably are too strict on them there and not strict enough for the road/bridge stuff. Give them some latitude in the park or in a square or on the side of the road. No latitude in the road. I say the same for the environmental groups. You can make yourself heard better on the side of the road than in it. In it, you just make enemies.

SetVol13, zehr27 and peelwonder like this.
  11. HCKevinSteele

I know the Q is for IP but for clarity’s sake, on my post I was referring to campus protests only. I really really don’t like blocking roadways to protest. Can’t have a black and white rule but I’m more or less ok with running people over if every effort is made by a driver to avoid that outcome first.

zehr27 likes this.
  12. IP

IP Super Moderator

13. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

14. IP

IP Super Moderator

Disagree, let LE remove them. Regular people should not be empowered to take the law into their own hands.

15. peelwonder

peelwonder Member

Amen

16. lumberjack4

lumberjack4 Chieftain

Peaceful protests are fine. Non-peaceful protest aren't. Subject of the protest is irrelevant. Stay off the roads.

17. zehr27

zehr27 8th's VIP

The report says a protestor threw a chair at officers. Is that not violent?

18. zehr27

zehr27 8th's VIP

Pretty much sums it up.

19. HCKevinSteele

I agree with you there in theory. But relying on government to save you won’t work 100% of the time (again
    , in theory). Obviously instances of this aren’t terribly common so hopefully the most extreme hypothetical scenarios would never happen.

For the sake of argument, let’s say protesters are blocking a roadway and for whatever reason LE can’t respond quickly. And there’s a man being blocked from rushing his child to a hospital, let’s say the kid’s having an allergic reaction and is struggling to breathe. If I’m the judge and jury, I’m not punishing a parent for putting his child’s safety above an asshat protester.

An absurd scenario I know, just illustrating how strongly I feel about it. In terms of a solution to avoid that type of outcome, I think the answer is very harsh punishments for protesters that do this.

20. IP

IP Super Moderator

That individual was. If someone throws a golf ball at Lane Kiffin, that doesn't make Neyland Stadium violent.

SetVol13 likes this.