Trey Dean on Conversation with Currie.

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by LawVol13, Nov 13, 2017.

1. LawVol13

LawVol13 Chieftain

Dean said, "The athletics director called me and he told me Tennessee is about to hire a great head coach. He told me that I can [still] be the face of the Tennessee."
    -Chad Simmons

Simmons also indicated he had already written the story of Dean's decommitment from Tennessee with quotes and Dean let him know he was waiting on that after speaking with Currie.

2. This gives me confidence and hope, even if it’s not Gruden.

3. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

Yeah, but I don't think Currie would say "Look, I'm hiring a decent, mid-major guy who's really great, if you get to know him, so just give him a chance, ok?". No, he's going to sell the shit out of the guy, even if it's Mike Bobo.

Yes, I choose to be pessimistic in order to not be let down.

warhammer, tvolsfan, Indy and 2 others like this.
  4. LawVol13

LawVol13 Chieftain

I just think you phrase the conversation differently if you're Currie unless you know you're getting a badass. You try to sell him on waiting and speaking with the new guy. I'm not sure you just come out and say Tennessees about to hire a great football coach and then trot out Bobo. Recruits would see through that. He'd be touting giving the new coach a chance to talk to him rather than touting his greatness. Just my opinion.

gcbvol, NorrisAlan and IP like this.
  5. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

Yes. No AD would say anything else about the next hire to recruits. I am glad Currie is doing this but it isn’t a Grumor imo.

6. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

Recruits will believe almost anyone is a great head coach until proven otherwise if history is any indication.

7. LawVol13

LawVol13 Chieftain

Disagree.

8. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

Who is Trey Dean?

9. LawVol13

LawVol13 Chieftain

4 star safety.

10. Low Country Vol

Low Country Vol Contributor

11. BearCat204

BearCat204 Chieftain

If Currie is overplaying the level of coach and telling a recruit that, only to know that he is bringing in a Bobo level coach, there is no positive for Currie or UT in that situation. I am with LV with this in that if Currie didn't legit have a big name that he believed he could deliver, he would have had a much different discussion with Dean. JMO

12. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

No search firm and acting like he already has his guy.

He’s not feeling that way unless it’s a game changer that he’s bringing in

utvol0427, justingroves and LawVol13 like this.
  13. He’s laying it all on his shoulders. If this goes bad, there’s no one to blame but him. He’s got balls, I’ll give him that.

14. Oldvol75

Oldvol75 Super Bigfoot Guru Mod

Day 1 since firing the previous coach: Currie: I have a Head Football Coaching position to fill.

Day 1 since firing the previous coach: Currie: I think I'll spend the day calling recruits!

Only seems to reason that he already has a coach.

LawVol13, MWR, utvol0427 and 5 others like this.
  15. docholiday

docholiday Contributor

Concur. The body language and smirk ass smile on Currie's face was priceless when asked is Gruden a candidate.

16. kmf600

kmf600 Energy vampire

Again, I'd ask him to define "great"

17. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

I could easily hear Hart or Hamilton saying it about the fools they hired. I'll put it that way.

18. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain