MF Stolen Valor!!!

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by Tenacious D, Feb 19, 2019.

1. IP

IP Super Moderator

Which is how he is able to easily tell who is and isn't, because there are many questions that would be easy to answer for a SEAL and next to impossible to answer for the rest of us. Hell, I think he said something along the lines of most living SEALS probably knowing at least one person in common if serving in remotely similar timeframes.

2. NYY

NYY Super Moderator

Played ball when i was younger with a Ranger. If you saw him walk in a bar, you wouldn’t know it. His Facebook isn’t filled with it... in fact the only thing he ever posts is each Memorial Day he posts a picture of his CO’s grave. With not a single amount of fanfare of his own service.

He’s also a guy that could absolutely kill you with his bare hands. You also wouldn’t necessarily think he could by looking at him.

My grandfather was a Colonel in the Army. Only when prodded on his death bed did he ever speak of anything war related. My dad and I both felt both relieved and also instant regret that we pushed it as far as we did. To the day he died, he enjoyed nothing more than walking up to a former soldier wearing a veteran hat and thanking them for their service. Without ever once mentioning his own. His only regret he ever audibly spoke was not going back and jumping with some of his buddies months before he passed away. Which was the main reason I pinned his wings to my shirt and jumped for my 30th birthday years ago.

In my experience, the dudes that saw some legit shit don’t speak of it. I have an uncle that is highly decorated from Vietnam. He has told multiple people that what he saw will go to the grave with him. I’ve read enough letters from him to my aunt during war that I know he saw some bad shit. And I know better than to ever inquire and will forever honor his wishes.

Poppa T likes this.
  3. TennTradition

TennTradition Super Moderator

You’re evil.

4. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

He has a database of every SEAL who has ever graduated any BUD/s class, or was ever included on any active team, including class number and month / year of graduation, and which goes all the way back to when they were UDT (JFK instituted the Special Forces for all branches, including the Navy / SEALS, btw), and frog men, beforehand, all the way back to WW2. And he’ll verify anyone for free.

If someone ever says they were a SEAL, just ask what class they were in, when they graduated and who was their swim buddy. That’ll either tell the tale or allow them to be verified.

5. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

I have two clients that are 90+ that both fought in WW2 - one in the Pacific in the Navy and the other in Europe in the army.

The guy in the Pacific is a little more open in telling his stories, but they'll both talk a little. The guy in Europe fought in the Battle of the Bulge. But when they talk, I just sit and soak it up. Could listen to these guys talk about it for days.

6. TennTradition

Marcus Luttrell would be one of the two in Texas then. Wild that there would be just one other.

7. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

A good buddy (& in-law family) of mine was a Navy UDT guy in Vietnam. He was my father in law's 1st cousin.

I thought this was a cool story:
    Howard, my buddy, grew up & lived in Orlando because his dad was stationed there in the Navy. As a teenager, he spent his summers in the Tri-Cities area visiting my father in law & his family. They were real tight. Vietnam got hot & unbeknownst to each other, they both signed up for the Navy. One day in the chow line at Great Lakes, my f-i-l hears "PSST! PSST!" He was hesitant to look because, as you know better than I, it's nuts to butts & eyes forward in the line. He goes side eye to see who was doing that. It's his cousin Howard with his usual shit eating grin on his face.

Just thought it was cool they were in basic together from 2 different areas of the country & they didn't know the other had signed up. Both said it made getting through it much easier.

Howard had a tattoo on his ass that he got when drunk. It was a middle finger that said, "Never Again, USN". Howard was the funniest most kind hearted guy you could meet. Unfortunately he passed away in 1999 of lung cancer at 49 years old. I still miss the guy. Truly a good dude. He left me his golf clubs because of an incident on a golf course we had together when I was in Orlando visiting. It was an inside deal & hard to appreciate if you didn't know the backstory, but I still laugh about it over 20 years later.

Don't know why I told that here. Just hit me, so I went with it....

droski and Joseph Brant like this.
  8. Tenacious D

Fun fact: the other Texas SEAL is Morgan Luttrell, Marcus’ twin brother, and who has since became a neuroscientist after leaving the Navy.

9. TennTradition

Knew he had a twin - didn’t realize he was a Seal.

10. IP

IP Super Moderator

Navy SEALs, Grammy-winning Seal, marine mammal seals... The seal brand is strong.

11. TennTradition

Nice

12. IP

IP Super Moderator

Didn't even get to Flex Seal.

TennTradition likes this.
  13. Tenacious D

I have the body and stamina of a Navy Walrus.

14. Tenacious D

15. kmf600

kmf600 Energy vampire

I've never heard an A-10 fire its canon in person, but I would love to. I think I read when they fire it, it slows the plane down.

16. kmf600

kmf600 Energy vampire

I think my Air Force dad would ask you to define women.

CardinalVol likes this.
  17. NYY

NYY Super Moderator

They built a plane around a cannon.

Literally.

JayVols, justingroves and kmf600 like this.
  18. Tenacious D

The gun, on its own, and then in the plane.

justingroves, utvol0427 and kmf600 like this.
  19. IP

IP Super Moderator

Wouldn't that be technically true for any forward-facing gun on an aircraft?

20. kmf600

kmf600 Energy vampire

YouTube it, it sounds awesome, and you can almost see the plane decelerating as its firing