Grant Williams Press Conference 11:30 est

Discussion in 'Keith Hatfield Memorial Vols Hoops' started by NEW COACH, Apr 9, 2019.

1. lumberjack4

lumberjack4 Chieftain

From what little I've seen he's a projected late 1st rounder. Barnes is probably at UCLA tomorrow morning.

2. VOLinDAWGland

VOLinDAWGland Contributor

Well, now Barns is going to have to go earn his new big paycheck. Those low recruiting classes are coming home to roost.

3. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

Yep. Again, no bullshit excuses for anything going forward.

4. IP

IP Super Moderator

williams is doing the smart thing to at least see what they say. he might yet come back

5. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

If you are a junior, there is zero reason not to do this if you think you have a shot at all. Get a grade, see what to work on, come back if needed.

justingroves and BigOrangeBeech like this.
  6. kmf600

kmf600 Energy vampire

Miami Heat says challenge accepted

7. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

There have been a couple of mock drafts with him in the 16-20 pick range. Hard to imagine he goes up much from there. He should probably take the money while it's available. Also, it's possible that next year's class is stronger, so even if he does improve his stock, he may drop.

8. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

Where does the money start to be truly “different?” If we are assuming he’s 15th pick or worse, is there a drop off point between that pick and the end of the first round?

In other words, if he’s good enough to be pick 17 this year, but only good enough to be pick 26 next year, is the money that different?

9. dknash

dknash Chieftain

Pretty sure it's just that 1st round = guaranteed contract, and the margins get pretty slim when you're projected in the late 20s.

A-Smith and IP like this.
  10. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

I don't really know. Still, if he's graduated and has a favorable projection I don't really see the point in staying unless he really has no interest in playing basketball professionally. He won't have Admiral to draw some attention and he won't have Bone to get the ball to him. Hard to see his stock rising.

11. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

I could see how he might figure his stock is immune from falling and come back to finish out his college career and enjoy another year of school.

The kid doesn’t need the NBA like a lot of guys coming out do. Barring a serious injury, it’ll likely be there again next year.

12. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

He doesn't really need a single year of grad school either.