15 Years Ago Today

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by JayVols, Jan 3, 2014.

1. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

I was in Vegas the day before UT's National Championship in the Fiesta Bowl. My my how things have changed.

2. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

Crazy cycles of college football. I think I am different than many of the guys here, I feel pretty good about our future.

3. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

I'm with you. I don't know when or who'll be coaching but we won't be here forever.

4. InVolNerable

InVolNerable Fark Master Flex

Duke is good. anything can happen.

5. JohnnyQuickkick

yeah i don't think us being good again is nearly as crazy as duke being good

6. InVolNerable

With our current administration and AD? I do.

7. JohnnyQuickkick

winning a championship, probably. being 'good', nah

8. InVolNerable

'Good' is relative.

9. hohenfelsvol

hohenfelsvol Beer run

My sixteen year old was an infant. Too f'in long.

10. TRUVOL

TRUVOL New Member

I was serving a 2 year mission for my church in SLC Utah. I wasn't supposed to watch the game but I did. Lol.

11. JayVols

Happy 15th Anniversary of our National Championship everyone.

12. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Thanks for nothing, Obama.

13. utvol0427

utvol0427 Chieftain

My dad and I had just parked next to the aquatic center on ASU's campus about this time. That seems like a lifetime ago.

14. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

To celebrate, everyone living in state needs to go out and get '98 Natty Champs tags.

15. JayVols

I was there with Volguy. I almost talked myself out of going. It's ironic that my uberly cautious/plain father-in-law (he only eats vanilla ice cream) was the person that told me, "You're 27 years old. Do this while you're young & can handle the drive. Even if they don't win, you may never get this opportunity again."

He was right on all accounts. In fact, he was so right that the next time I'm at his house, I'm checking his garage for a Delorian.

16. JayVols

I still have my old one. I think Volguy still sports his on his Mustang. #truefan

17. utvol0427

utvol0427 Chieftain

My dad decided New Years eve that he wanted to go because he may never have another chance. He and a guy he worked with bought tickets from a a local store that sold tickets and we left New Year's Day. My dad and the guy he worked with split the drive from Knoxville to Tempe and back. Best trip ever.

18. JayVols

It was awesome. I saw so many things I never thought I would. I wouldn't change a thing. Our drive was probably 2 hours longer than yours coming from the Tri-Cities area. We drove from Kingsport to Vegas to Tempe to Flagstaff (after the game) back to Kingsport in 5 days. Was rough but worth every second. We were on TV several times. We sat very close to those 2 FSU fans that painted their entire body in sparkles- one red one gold- that they showed on the broadcast several times.

We almost died numerous times on the trip. We survived an ice storm in Memphis. We thought we were home-free when we made it to the I40-I81 split between Jefferson City & Morristown, but in fact, it was just getting really interesting. It came a huge snowstorm & it was really bad from that point on. We were sideways at least twice in front of semi trucks. Volguy's 4 WD decided to tear up on his full sized Ford Bronco at a most inopportune time.

19. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

Flux capacitor.

20. hohenfelsvol

hohenfelsvol Beer run

Fueled by banana peels and stale beer