2009 vs 2014 o line

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by CardinalVol, Oct 19, 2014.

1. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

Just from a raw talent standpoint, what are the differences? Was 09 that much better off talent wise? This is a half-loaded, half trying to remember question.

2. utvol0427

utvol0427 Chieftain

Wasn't '09 the group that had the two walk-ons starting that should have been playing at Carson Newman?

3. Knox9552

Knox9552 Member

Would trade for that line in a heartbeat. 3 future NFL players in the top 6-7 guys.

4. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

We played a true frosh tight end at RT. Clearly they were loaded.

There were some decent players there, but they were all absolutely terrible the year prior. Chris Scott, in particular, made a tremendous jump from 08 to 09. Then you had Vlad Richard, the oft-injured DT turned OG, Sullins brothers, and a decent center with awful knees that didn't play a lot. I forget who the RT was before Aaron Douglas stepped in. You also had Jacques MacClendon, who was pretty good.

5. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

Don't forget that Marcus Jackson was starting among a group of NFL players. Now look at him. It sure as heck isn't all talent deficiency

6. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Kerbyson is about 3% as good as Douglas was his first year. That's unacceptable for a four star that had offers from Bama, Florida, and about everyone else. Marcus Jackson was pretty well-regarded, as were several of our backups. They are either all busts, or haven't been taught how to play.

7. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Douglas was a redshirt freshman, but everything else is spot on.

McNeil was the center with no knees

8. Knox9552

Knox9552 Member

For all intents and purposes McNeil's last year was 2008, he appeared in 1 game in 2009.

9. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Marcus Jackson was an Under Armour All American.

10. CardinalVol

So, here is my point.

This line is awful. But should they be as awful as they have been? Was the 09 line THAT much better? And how much of a difference did coaching make?

11. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

They should absolutely not be this awful. James Cregg could make a world of difference with these guys

12. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Mitch Browning and James Cregg are 2 of the best ol coachesin college football.

Mahoney is not.

And no, they shouldn't be this awful. The left side of the ol were coveted recruits. Crowder blows, Thomas was a high school center and Robertson is raw. They should all be getting in the way of dl. Right now, they aren't

13. IP

IP Super Moderator

I want to know if they are blind. I saw a guy go between two that were literally blocking no one. They were like looking upfield as if someone was going to teleport in and rush them, and ignored the guy they could have easily blocked. Block ANYONE. It is crazy how every rusher gets through to the point of getting into each other's way. Or maybe that is the genius plan.

14. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Is it possible they are straight up confused as to who they are supposed to block? I can't imagine it's this challenging. And you would think double teaming a guy would be better than standing there blocking no one.

15. hatvol96

hatvol96 Well-Known Member

Bingo.

16. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

If the OL gets confused in zone blocking, well...that would make me sad

17. CardinalVol

At least I am not alone in believing they should not be this bad.

18. kmf600

kmf600 Energy vampire

Maybe start with basics. See the guy in the other color jersey? Put your hands on him.

19. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

Wait. Wait!

We are allowed to touch them? I thought that was holding and not allowed.

20. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

You know how a lot of coaches started recruiting soccer-style kickers a few years ago. The new trend is soccer-style linemen. Butch is on the cutting edge on this.