2014 Australian Open Thread

Discussion in 'Sports' started by kidbourbon, Jan 13, 2014.

1. kidbourbon

kidbourbon Well-Known Member

Who I want to win: Rafael Nadal
    Who I think Will Win: Novak Djokovic
    Who could also win: Delpo

Who I want to win: Azarenka
    Who I think will win: Serena
    Who could also win: ????

2. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

Kicks in the [penis]

3. kidbourbon

I shouldn't have started this thread. Too much built-in backlash.

4. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

Alas, I stopped watching tennis when Lendl couldn't win Wimbledon.

5. kidbourbon

Been a while, huh?

6. dknash

dknash Chieftain

Has a tricky first round match, but after that it should be smooth sailing to the final.

7. kidbourbon

For Rafa or kixinthadick?

8. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

I've said it before, I have no ill will towards the sport of tennis. I enjoy playing. Just can't watch it.

9. kidbourbon

Unofficial Analysis:

First Quadrant:
    #1 seed: Rafael Nadal
    #4 seed: Delpo

Other Notables:
    #22 seed: Grigor
    #27 seed: Paire
    #25 seed: Monfils

Analysis:
    Nadal actually gets a tough first round matchup against the unpredictable but highly talented hometown boy Bernard Tomic (I really like Tomic as a player...bummer he got this draw). If Nadal gets by Tomic, he'll coast in the second round, and then potentially get Gael Monfils in the third round. Monfils pushed him to three in their tune-up tourney, but I just don't see Monfils beating Nadal in a five set match. And if Nadal gets past that, he'll be good until the final of his quadrant (the quarterfinals), where he could potentially get matched up against Delpo.

I think this is going to be a breakout year for Delpo, who finished the year 2013 strong and won his tune-up tourney in Sydney. It's tough to pick against Nadal, but Delpo certainly has the ability beat him.

Sucks that Rhyne drew Delpo in the first round. He has zero chance of winning that match.

Second Quadrant:
    #4 seed: Andy Murray
    #6 seed: Roger Federer

Other notables:
    #10 seed: Tsonga
    #31 seed: Verdasco

Analysis:
    This quadrant is the most wide open of the bunch, I think. I have no idea what to think about Federer who can still beat anybody in a five set match not named Nadal or Djokovic, but who can also lose to just about anybody. I would peg Murray as the odds-on favorite -- and I guess he really does have to be considered that -- but he has had poor showings since coming back from his injury, and so I don't know what kind of performance we're going to get out of him. Don't be surprised if Tsonga comes out of this one.

3rd Quadrant:
    #3 seed: Ferrer
    #7 seed: Berdych

Other Notables:
    #20 seed: Janowicz

Analysis:
    Berdych has a cake draw here. He really shouldn't get tested until the quarters. There, he'l play either Ferrer or Janowicz...more than likely Ferrer. And I think he'll beat Ferrer. All things considered, this is probably the weakest quadrant.

4th Quadrant:
    #2 seed: Djokovic
    #8 seed: Wawrinka

Other Notables:
    #9 seed: Gasquet
    #23 seed: Gulbis
    #28 seed: Pospisil

Analysis:
    Djokovic should roll pretty easily until the fourth round where he could get matched up against the volatile but dangerous Gulbis. But I just don't see a realistic possibility that Djokovic loses until the final of this quadrant, where he could get matched up against Stan "The Man" Wawrinka. We know that Wawrinka can give him a tough match, and has come very close to beating him the last two times they've met in majors.

Wawrinka doesn't exactly have a bye till the quarters, though. He could get tested by Pospisil in round 3, and then Gasquet and his vials of cocaine in round 4. If Wawrinka stumbles before the quarterfinals, you may as well just put Djokovic semis as Stan is the only one in this quadrant that imho has a realistic possibility of beating Djoker.

Faint-hearted Predictions:
    Nadal v. Tsonga
    Djokovic v. Berdych

Nadal v. Djokovic

Djokovic

10. kidbourbon

I cannot imagine playing tennis in a 106 degree heat. Brutal.

11. kidbourbon

Tennessee Vol Rhyne Williams takes the first set off Del Potro. Wowzer.

12. kidbourbon

Tennis fan or not, mad biggie ups be deserved by former Vol Rhyne Williams, who gave the third best player in the world all he could handle. Rhyne took the first set, but then dropped the next three, though all of them were hard fought and competitive.

He is prone to mental lapses, and that's really all that's holding him back from being a top 20 player. His serve is filthier than your mother, and his forehand is just straight disgusting.

[video=youtube;_UU32FsgKDk]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_UU32FsgKDk[/video]

13. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

#VFL

It appears to be very very hot down there, too. Gotta be brutal on the players, especially if it goes 5 sets.

14. kidbourbon

Yeah, it was unruly yesterday. I think there are three more days of just ridiculous heat, and then it drops down to just being really hot per usual. I was impressed with Rhyne. He appeared to still have plenty of bounce in his step while Delpo looked like he was feeling the effects of the heat. I thought if Rhyne could push it to a fifth, he might pull off the upset of the year. He nearly did. He got broke at 4-4 in the fourth after a couple deuces, and then Delpo served it out for the win.

15. kidbourbon

16. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

I can't watch men's tennis unless it's Wimbledon or a finals match.

17. kidbourbon

Cool story.

18. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

Thanks. As good, if not better, as your kick in the [penis] baseball stories.

19. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

Hello Eugenie Bouchard.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2014
  20. LawVol13

LawVol13 Chieftain

Fed just played the best match he's played in years against someone worth a damn. I think he's got the edge against Murray, and I think Nadal gets him in the semis.