2021 is the Year

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by yont sum iss?, Nov 14, 2019.

1. yont sum iss?

yont sum iss? Contributor

If Pruitt is the guy, I believe we will know without a doubt in 2021. Now obviously we could know whether he is or isn't the answer well before that. An incredible overachieving (or flub) next year or a lackluster finish to this season (losing to this year's version of Mizzou would be pretty lackluster IMO) and the writing will pretty much be on the wall, for better or worse.

I see four teams on our 2020 schedule that, fairly safe to say, will be better than us. OU, UF, UGA, Bama. The seniors we lose after this season will hurt. I think 8-4 probably keeps me believing in his chances. 9-3 and I'm probably pretty damn excited. If he's for real, losses to the likes of SC and Mizzou have to be a thing of the past. UK and Vandy shouldn't even be worthy of discussion at this stage.

This is the year, if Pruitt is the guy, that we're back in actual contention. Bowling Green, Pitt, South Alabama, and probably another cupcake that hasn't been scheduled yet in the non conference. No excuse to lose any of those. Our flexed in SECw opponent is Ole Miss. No LSU, Auburn, or A&M. No excuse for a UT coach to lose to Ole Miss in Year 4...ever. At this point, an elite coach has recruited and developed players well enough to, at the VERY least, start giving us a real chance against the "Big 3" that we play every year. I'll say a win over UF or UGA is a must and beating both should be pretty damn realistic here. If we have the right guy, we should win the East in 2021.

Just thinking out loud...

2. PilotFlyingJ

PilotFlyingJ Chieftain

I've given a similar look at things, yont sum iss?. 2021 will be very tough considering the 2020 seniors but I trust Pruitt's recruiting.

3. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Does Jajuan have a younger brother?

4. utvol0427

utvol0427 Chieftain

I'm tired of looking two or three years in the future every year and picking out "the year". Not saying this is wrong, I'm just tired of it.

5. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

if Kesling is still here, no it isnt

6. yont sum iss?

yont sum iss? Contributor

Me too. Trust me.

7. justingroves

justingroves supermod

I think people are going to be surprised next year at how good the defense is going to be. Tennessee loses Taylor but gains Gooden, Bituli will be a loss, but To'oto'o is right there, too.

8. JT5

JT5 Super Moderator

By my calculations, Pruitt’ll be fired after 2022 season. Next guy will do alright but won’t get to Atlanta until his 4th year, but won’t win it, then he’ll be fired 2 years later after the 2028 season. But guy after that will get it rollin’ and I could see us winning the SEC in his 3rd year or 4th year.

So, 2032, we’re comin’.

9. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

Why did y’all discontinue the hyper sleep prototype?

10. govols182

govols182 Honorary Mod

Honestly, I could see next year being a really good year. Both OL and DL return a lot of starters and major contributors, our secondary should be pretty stout, we return all of our RB's, should have good QB competition...

In my opinion, we will have a pretty strong team next year and should compete for the east.

11. Volgrad98

Volgrad98 Contributor

And in a twist of fate, we play Ga ST in the playoffs, a now FBS powerhouse.

12. chavisut

chavisut Dan Mullen Fan Club President

We'll be replacing like 12 of our top 14 DL in '21. Some ridiculous number like that.

13. cpninja

cpninja Member

I'll know in 3 weeks if I'm gonna care about 2020, let alone 2021

chavisut and NorrisAlan like this.
  14. IMISSTHEBOWLBROS

IMISSTHEBOWLBROS Contributor

15. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Gooden
    Middleton
    Bumphus
    Blakely
    Butler
    Williams
    Mincey (he may redshirt, though)

That's just off the top of my head

16. govols182

govols182 Honorary Mod

This is why DL recruiting is very important this year.

17. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

Every single damn year.

warhammer, Memtownvol and A-Smith like this.
  18. chavisut

chavisut Dan Mullen Fan Club President

Solomon

19. Volokie

Volokie Active Member

Virtually every top tier team has common aspects. One is a D line that can penetrate/disrupt the backfield alone with no help from LB'ers or DB's.

20. kmf600

kmf600 Energy vampire

We will shit the bed for years to come