2023 Vols Baseball

Discussion in 'VOLuminous' started by The Dooz, Sep 29, 2022.

1. SGMVols

SGMVols Contributor

Next 5 series

A&M
    @ LSU
    Florida
    @ Arky
    Vandy

And we’re going to enter this gauntlet having been swept by the team picked last in the league

2. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

Probably for the best to just shut it down for the season.

SetVol13 and justingroves like this.
  3. zehr27

zehr27 8th's VIP

He went all in on roster changing transfers and 2 got drafted. Now we are left with a roster that is a major work in progress which I believe he will do better than anyone with but it will take some time. I'm good with it as I always want a coach that swings for the fences when trying to load up his roster.

4. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

Yeah Stephenson for sure Tony had penciled in for CF this year. That one hurt. Chambers less so, though I certainly would like to have him around. But good for those guys to make some money and good for our recruiting too.

There’s talented guys here. Denton, Maui, Merritt and Dickey will all be fine. The pitching took it in the chin this weekend but I don’t expect that to continue. There’s going to be some growing up moments, games and weekends. Probably, they will wind up 35+ wins and a shot to make something happen in the SEC tournament, and from there tournament baseball can get crazy.

5. zehr27

zehr27 8th's VIP

The MLB draft makes it really hard to build a roster in the college game. Definitely going to be an up and down year but I'm still looking forward to tournament ball.

NorrisAlan likes this.
  6. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

Biggest worry is we’re 1-5 away from home and have looked bad in all 6 games.

7. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

I say it is time to clean house, starting with the AD.

8. zehr27

zehr27 8th's VIP

Yeah it hasn't been a pretty start at all. Worse than I even thought it would be but I'm still confident we will get our bats going and our pitching will get on track, Anderson will make certain of the pitching part. Young team that just needs to build some confidence.

9. SGMVols

SGMVols Contributor

That sweep puts a ton of pressure on this team to win the A&M series this weekend. If we’re 1-5 or God forbid 0-6 in the SEC going to Baton Rouge, the conversation about this team will shift from “Is this an Omaha team?” to “is this even an NCAA tournament team?”

10. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

Ole Miss was 14-16 in SEC play last year (despite being highly ranked to start the season) and their entire fan base was ready to run Bianco out of town.

They even lost the opening game of the SEC tournament too.

11. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

Frank is probably the best pitching coach in college baseball. He’s an absolute wizard.

zehr27 likes this.
  12. utvol0427

utvol0427 Chieftain

Unfortunately, 99% of Tennessee fans that are now following Tennessee baseball have no idea what Ole Miss did in the postseason last year, so this point is lost on them.

zehr27, IP and Poppa T like this.
  13. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

It’s ok to talk about the teams performance without turning it into drama.
    Doubt anybody expected to get swept by the last place team in the league first series. And no game was even close.
    Starting pitching not there as teams sit on fastballs. Bats not there. Fielding and baserunning not there. They can only get better but right now they flat out suck unless playing against Alabama St or Lipscomb

14. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

Yes, and on the other hand, their issues were more injury related so I will freely admit these aren’t like for like situatioms, just an illustration that baseball ebbs and flows.

I’m certainly disappointed that the weekend went the way it went and I know the team is too. But this isn’t the end of the world, though, yes, they need to win the series this weekend.

15. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

If it’s the first league series, how can they be the last place team? Right now, just looking at the standings, Mizzou is a first place team.

16. Ssmiff

Mizzou at the bottom of the sec in preseason rankings. You can’t sugarcoat getting swept by them. We have higher ranked recruits and many more mlb prospects than Mizzou. Getting swept shouldn’t happen.
    They have time. Nobody expected anything like this start.

17. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

Pre season rankings are as meaningless as anything I’ve ever typed on a message board, and especially so in baseball.

Also,

18. Ssmiff

So mizzou is good? We will see I suppose

19. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

Maybe they are, maybe they aren’t but preseason is far to early to make those kind of declarations.

If we are all in agreement that we aren’t the #2 team in the country right now, despite it being our preseason ranking then it’s certainly possible for them to better than their preseason ranking, which after having now seen them play, I think they will be.

20. Poppa T

Poppa T Vol Geezer

Oof. What a shitty weekend.

We got some work ahead of us.

This ain't the rock-em-sock-em team from last year.

Go Vols!!