2024 Vols Baseball

Discussion in 'VOLuminous' started by The Dooz, Sep 28, 2023.

1. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

I was just telling someone the other day, it won’t get cheaper and it won’t get easier to get in when they get the place renovated. It’s the price of being good.

Dr Danny has a bit of Douglas Adair Dickey in him too

2. SGMVols

SGMVols Contributor

You can have cheap tickets or a winning program. Not both. I know which one I would rather have.

10SEvols likes this.
  3. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

I think it will be easier to get GA/Standing Room tickets but seats will be expensive on the secondary market. I know they’ve had pretty robust sales on the premium stuff being added for 2025. I’ll be curious to see how the non-premium sales go when those open up.

4. utvol0427

utvol0427 Chieftain

D1 has us at number 9 in their preseason poll.

5. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

Between them and some other random publications, I’ve seen us anywhere from 9-11. While I don’t put much stock in preseason college baseball polls, it feels like it’s pretty accurate.

6. KyleAlexanderfan

KyleAlexanderfan Well-Known Member

How are they feeling about the pitching

7. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

Pitching is going to be fine. Some combo of Beam, Russell and TBD will be the rotation. I’d say early the TBD spot will be open competition for it. Frank is a wizard so I don’t worry too much about those guys.

First Pitch banquet is this Saturday. Will be cool if Helton gets elected to the HoF tomorrow. Also, it’s amazing how much that event has blown up. It’s gone from like $40-50 pp to $175 pp in the last 3-4 years and they have sold it out every time. They moved it to an on campus location so it’s basically all profit for the team.

Left field renovations look like they are coming along nicely. Park is going to look a lot different even this season.

SetVol13 likes this.
  8. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

Todd Helton to the HoF. Pretty cool.

9. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

10. yont sum iss?

yont sum iss? Contributor

Always pissed me off that he was punished for playing at Coors Field. Don’t have a [uck fay]ing team there if you don’t want to give guys credit for what they accomplish.

utvol0427 likes this.
  11. yont sum iss?

His run from like ‘98 to ‘04 is pretty insane.

12. yont sum iss?

Only the second SEC player ever to make it. Frank Thomas the other. I did not realize that. Very cool.

10SEvols likes this.
  13. dknash

dknash Chieftain

https://www.baseball-reference.com/draft/

I think I did an OK job searching; Max Scherzer is almost certainly the next (Mizzou), though technically they were still Big XII in 2006, so it's an edge case (or maybe just a no). Then you have Rafael Palmeiro (MSU) and Roger Clemens (Texas, feels like even worse of an edge case even though it's the same deal as Scherzer), but steroid attitudes are going to have to change dramatically for either to get in via special ballots somewhere down the line. No one else seems to be on track or has enough track record, IMO.

I guess this would miss any undrafted FAs, but probably not?

14. dknash

dknash Chieftain

15. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

Shit if I had a family member in the Hall I’d tell everyone I did too.

16. yont sum iss?

If the team wasn’t in the SEC when you were on it, you don’t count.

As far as current younger guys, only one I can come up with is Pete Alonso. I could see him clubbing his way to 400+ homers if he doesn’t get too fat and start breaking down.

17. yont sum iss?

Tim Hudson is a name at least in the conversation, but obviously he isn’t a HOFer. Interesting how few guys have even gotten close.

18. PilotFlyingJ

PilotFlyingJ Chieftain

Where's that Smoky and the Bandit gif.frommyloins. when you need it?!?

19. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

[​IMG]

20. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

10SEvols likes this.