24-25 Season

Discussion in 'Keith Hatfield Memorial Vols Hoops' started by Tar Volon, Mar 31, 2024.

1. IP

IP Super Moderator

If they wouldn't take both, I don't think they would have overlapping visits.

2. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

Here's a thought I've had lately.

Why can't players play more than 4 years? If the player wants it and the school wants it, why should the NCAA be able to stop it? Can't they just take grad courses as long as they want. Like I get being viscerally against this, but what is the substantive legal reason that this couldn't/shouldn't happen?

3. IP

IP Super Moderator

This is a good question. I, too, reflexively don't like it but I don't have a good reason why a student can only play for 4 years.

A-Smith likes this.
  4. KyleAlexanderfan

KyleAlexanderfan Well-Known Member

Yeah he’s gone. He’s not giving Barnes much of a choice. He wants to see where our roster lands but we have to add people to play the 5. Can’t just hope that he decides to return and get screwed.

If we somehow grab Tyson and Lanier I’m guessing it’s going to push a guy or 2 out, the most likely being Carr or Mashack. Will be interested to see how that plays out.

5. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

6. VOLinDAWGland

VOLinDAWGland Contributor

I'd much rather have 4-5 guys capable of scoring 10-20 points any given night than 1 guy scoring 20-30. Although that was fun! Theoretically we had 5 guys who could score 10-20 but Santi went into a funk, Aidoo was inconsistent and JJJ just not assertive enough often enough.

7. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

IDK what happened to Santi. I half expect to hear that he had testicle cancer in both balls (I think Lofton just had 1).

SetVol13, Tar Volon and IP like this.
  8. utvol0427

utvol0427 Chieftain

I've wondered if it is something like that. Right after the season, Brian Rice implied on the radio that he knew there was something going on, but wasn't sure if Vescovi would go public with it.

9. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

He was still playing elite defense and a beast on the boards. Set record for steals. Wouldn’t be surprised if there were anxiety issues, which I’m finding out are a lot more common than we are aware. Athletes we think got it made but are overwhelmed with the pressure they put on themselves.
    IMO, he went mental with his shot and couldn’t get himself out of it. I remember one game he talked about his confidence being better over 2 weeks of practice. First play of the game we set up a play for him to get a clear look on a step in 3 from the wing, ran it perfectly and his shot almost got stuck between the rim and the backboard. My son said “uh oh. He’s done”
    I agreed. You could see it in his hesitation, release and body language. Spin on his ball was off all year. Compare it to the shanks in golf. Once you get them and think about them it’s over for awhile.

10. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

Even his defense seemed to fall off at the end of the season.

11. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

What's the word on the Okpara guy?

Similar minutes to Aidoo with significantly less production. Aidoo made his "jump" from sophomore to junior, but he also played less as a sophomore than what Okpara did, so hard to compare on paper.

12. KyleAlexanderfan

The word is he’s a lock.

13. KyleAlexanderfan

He reminds me of Kenny Hall but 2” taller.

14. IP

IP Super Moderator

Okpara's production jumped up in the NIT

15. yont sum iss?

yont sum iss? Contributor

So Awaka probably ain’t coming back huh?

16. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Tobe determined.

17. VOLinDAWGland

VOLinDAWGland Contributor

His minutes would be squeezed. If we get these guys Awaka is probably out. I like Awaka, but if you have to choose, this is an upgrade.

18. KyleAlexanderfan

19. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

20. utvol0427

utvol0427 Chieftain

I think that was the guy from Belmont.