25 % of 2014 Class no longer on the team

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by IP, Feb 5, 2015.

1. IP

IP Super Moderator

Check my math. I think we've lost 8 now.

2. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

damn that kiffin

3. woodshed

woodshed Active Member

Seems to be a high number to me...curious to know the NCAA avg.

4. ziv1173

ziv1173 Member

We're losing the ones that can't cut it. It's not great, but it isn't all bad, either.

5. chavisut

chavisut Dan Mullen Fan Club President

Correct.

6. IP

IP Super Moderator

I'm not saying it is all bad, but it is curious. Not really a top 5 class anymore, is it? And why couldn't the ones who "couldn't cut it" be properly evaluated the first time around?

7. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

Butch.

Jones.

Next question.

8. chavisut

Last year's class was 7th on 247. Taking all of those guys off using the class calculator would have put us at around 11th. That's assuming none of the other teams have lost a few guys, which isn't likely.

They couldn't cut it as in they were behind other freshman. We played a bunch of freshman, somebody had to be on the sidelines.

Regarding evaluation, some of our lowest rated recruits started at some point last year.

9. IP

IP Super Moderator

Rhetorical, Jay. Building up a case file in case this goes to court in a few years. For folks who think we are being fickle when he goes 7-5 in 2017 or something.

10. Knox9552

Knox9552 Member

Seems pretty standard. Lose 8 players and then you have a normal sized class. Losing 8 players from a 32 man signing class is a lot different than losing 8 players from a 25 man signing class. It should also be expected. 32+29+25+25 = 111 players for 85 spots over a 4 year period.

11. justingroves

justingroves supermod

33% of a class, on average, won't finish their eligibility at the school they sign with

12. countvolcula

countvolcula New Member

Hope his ability to evaluate coaches is better

13. Cameltoes

Cameltoes Contributor

Your hope runs out tomorrow.

14. hohenfelsvol

hohenfelsvol Beer run

Hope is not a method

15. chavisut

Evaluations haven't been bad.

16. ziv1173

ziv1173 Member

You'll always miss on some. And when you do, you encourage em to move on. It's what Saban and virtually every other powerhouse program does. I don't blame Butch for doing that... it's what you do if you wanna win. That's about the ones that just can't cut it from a competitive aspect, or aren't good enough.

Sometimes you're just unlucky and a kid doesn't fit in. Helm? Probably that. Just guessing. I guess Butch could do better with that.

Then there's the ones that leave, even if they're good enough. I'll blame Butch for those. My guess is he's probably promising these recruits a lot and isn't going to be able to deliver on all of them.

But regardless, I'd rather be trimming the people that don't want to be here or can't keep up.

17. XXROCKYTOPXX

XXROCKYTOPXX Chieftain

I agree and welcome to the boards.

18. ziv1173

ziv1173 Member

Thanks. Been around awhile, I just lurk. :hi:

19. Snakeonia

Snakeonia Active Member

Helm and Wharton as well as some others aren't guys who "couldn't cut it". It's more of an issue with how Butch hounded those guys relentlessly. It's more than just being chewed out by Butch from what I've heard. Seems that someone has addressed this with Butch as well.

20. utvol0427

utvol0427 Chieftain

What else?