8th Maxim Trivia Contest: $100 First Prize

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by volfanjo, Jul 25, 2012.

1. volfanjo

volfanjo Chieftain

Come one, come all to the 8th Maxim Pre-Season football trivia contest.

Starting next week, August 1st, 8th Maxim is hosting a UT football trivia contest in the run-up to the season. The winner of this contest will receive a $100 Visa gift card. (Thanks Tenny for the generosity!)

The rules are fairly straightforward:

1. Every day, starting August 1-August 31st, a trivia question concerning some present or past component of UT football will be asked. The question is designed by myself -- volfanjo -- with no solicitation or advice from any 8th Maxim member. Ergo, I am ineligible for the contest, but all members, super mods, site administrators, and anyone that signs up for the site during that time is eligible to win the prize and participate.
    2. The question will be asked in a new thread every day at a random time. This is to include anyone who has difficult firewalls, or jobs that require you to be up late, or up early. So check the site often. The question could be asked at 12:01 am, or 10:00 am, or 6:51 pm, etc. You get my drift. Following 8th Maxim on twitter is a good way to see when a new question posts.
    3. Once the question is posted, the question is open until the first person answers it correctly. At that point, that poster will be declared the day's winner and will be given one point in the overall standings. So, if I ask: "To start the 1994 season, Jerry Colquitt suffered a career-ending injury at the hands of...?" And kptvol answers UCLA first, he will be the day's winner and get one point in the standings.
    4. The overall standings reflect whomever gets a question right at any point in time during the contest. For example, let's say after the first week, the standings look like this:

kptvol 2
    chavisut 2
    hatvol96 1
    justingroves 1
    indyvol 1

This would reflect who answered questions correctly for the week and how many they answered correctly. There is NO penalty for answering a question wrong. Also, if you strike out the first or second weeks, know that you have plenty of time to be the overall leader, who will be named August 31st.

-------

A few more thoughts:

1. Any question deemed to be unclear or challenged will be appealed to the contest "administrator", volfanjo. I will do my best to avoid any such questions that illicit controversy by using past media guides and "official" sources for Vol information. In the event the question is called into question, it will be thrown out for the day and no one will be awarded a point.
    2. I will ask questions that span the generations of Vol fans, so no matter your age please participate!
    3. Also, questions will have varying degrees of difficulty and I'm hoping long-time and novice fans will participate.
    4. If at all possible use the "Honors system". Google is a great tool to find info but try and avoid it if you can. It will be more fun this way.
    5. Lastly, feel free to use the Trivia threads to continue the conversation about the player, or team, or win, or loss that the question brings up.

Questions? Good luck and Go Vols.

Mods: Can I get a sticky?

2. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

**** it I was there in LA for that Colquitt injury. Awful.

The contest on the other hand seems great.

3. volfanjo

volfanjo Chieftain

Sorry kpt. Didn't mean to dredge up bad memories. I was sitting at my aunt's in Powell watching it on TV when it happened.

4. InVolNerable

InVolNerable Fark Master Flex

Ambiguous. Could be asking team or player specifically.
    Do I get a free point?

5. fl0at_

fl0at_ Humorless, asinine, joyless pr*ck

No, you get to start out at -1.

6. MaconVol

MaconVol Chieftain

great idea

7. InVolNerable

InVolNerable Fark Master Flex

Fine. I'm playing by golf rules anyways.

8. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

I'm kind of offended that you think Indy would get one right before me.

9. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Question #1: Which Vol has the NCAA individual record for highest level of wanting it?

10. volfanjo

volfanjo Chieftain

Joey Matthews, duh.

11. CardinalVol

Bernie Veazey

12. volfanjo

volfanjo Chieftain

I wanted to let all flowers bloom.

13. dknash

dknash Chieftain

Josh Briscoe.

14. justingroves

justingroves supermod

15. CardinalVol

Question #2 - How many awesome plaid jackets did Johnny Majors own?

16. justingroves

justingroves supermod

17. chavisut

chavisut Dan Mullen Fan Club President

Awesome idea jo.

18. volfanjo

volfanjo Chieftain

Reminder that it starts Wednesday.

19. volfanjo

volfanjo Chieftain

Just another reminder, ya'll. Be on the lookout.

20. NYY

NYY Super Moderator

Just ask the **** question, Jo.