After sleeping on it

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by CardinalVol, Oct 16, 2011.

1. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

A few random thoughts

1. All things considered I thought the lines played very well. They held their own as long as the could but depth got us.

2. Young continues to give me hope I will see a UT kickoff return for a TD again in my lifetime.

3. Simms is Simms. I don't know why everyone is so mad. He is what he is and he's the best we've got right now. It's not going to change no matter how much we moan.

4. Congrats to Marsalis Teague for officially entering Teddy Gaines territory. Such a disappointment.

5. Can we just move Zach Rogers to the other side of the ball? He's fast and can't catch. I can't fathom he's be a bigger liability on that side of the ball than what is there now plus what he is on offense.

6. My biggest concern is that the talent/youth excuse is going to give coaches a scapegoat with what I view as coaching concerns. Examples are a QB lining up 7 yards off a receiver on the 5 yard line, burning two (or was it three) timeouts because of personnel issues, a false start on a huge 4th and 1 early in the game, continuing to try to run outside, the inability to stop other teams from running outside, etc.

I understand there are talent issues. I get it. But there are still enough warning signs to me out there that this team is not coached well. Some things you can't help, other things you can and go back to poor coaching. IMO, there is a combination of both.

All that said, if Lattimore is out for any length of time, this team has at least a fighting chance against SC if they can survive Saturday.

2. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

I concur.

I was impressed with the lines yesterday overall. I also was impressed with Maggitt. I think he is going to be special.

I share your concerns about the youth excuse. Even youth can be taught to be fundamentally sound. We are not, particularly on defense. That needs to be fixed immediately. I don't mind being out athleted or out talented, but I can't stomach not playing fundamental football. Concentration on being fundamentally sound can at least alleviate some of the concerns you mentioned (lack of edge containment stopping counters/cutbacks/field reversals by trailing the play properly on the backside).

You had the same idea that I had last night when I said that Teague is Teddy Gaines redux. Guy can't cover, and yes Z Rogers couldn't catch a cold even if someone sneezed on him.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2011
  3. IP

IP Super Moderator

Z Rogers really disappointed me on a 3rd and short where he ran a slant, got the ball thrown right into his chest and immediately got hit... and failed to hold on to the ball. That is him in a nut shell. All you have to do is hang around him and pop him if the ball touches him . He drops it every time.

4. hmanvolfan

hmanvolfan Member

Hey Jay, get a defense in the VN football league

5. JayVols

I don't know what you mean. Please elaborate.

6. hmanvolfan

hmanvolfan Member

ummm, you don't have one staerting in the fantasy league. You are Tex, right? Oh hell, you're another Jay. Sorry about that.

7. JayVols

No prob. I'm the same name on both sites. You are a better guy than me. I would let them get a goose egg....