Alright, I'm convinced that OCI on TOOS is an alter now...

Discussion in 'VOLuminous' started by lylsmorr, Dec 7, 2011.

1. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

I called some guy out in a Fire Dooley revisited thread. I asked him for his credentials for being able to tell others that they didn't know anything about football. No reply, naturally. I don't think I'm a guru, and I made it a part of my living for 15 years beyond playing for about 18. The more I coached, the more I realized I had to learn. These guys don't have a [uck fay]ing clue what it's like to be making split second decisions in front of thousands of people that question your every move while your future employment is riding on those decisions. Yet, they act like it's as easy as moving some joystick, hitting some buttons, and throwing a bomb every 4 plays. You could say these folks and how they act are a pet peeve of mine. They wouldn't last 10 minutes in a practice much less a game.

BearCat204 likes this.
  2. JayVols

If I am thinking of the right guy, he can make a hell of a woe is me- my wife left me thread though.

3. BearCat204

BearCat204 Chieftain

Yup, thats the guy

4. NYY

NYY Super Moderator

That's him. She's the one who most likely spent the majority of their marriage contemplating suicide while having to pleasure herself with a Mag-Lite. Not the big ones that law enforcement carry, though. Think key-chain mag-lite.

5. JayVols

I thought so. I am not one to make light of a man's marital issues, but as pitiful as he was in that thread.....Yeah, that's a guy who's opinion I think I will disregard when it comes to calling people idiots over any subject. Get your shit straight before trying to call others out. Whadadouche.

6. JayVols

Your fixation on phallic symbols is disturbing.....:) I kid, bro. I kid.

[​IMG]

7. NYY

NYY Super Moderator

Tenny scarred me for life.

8. BearCat204

BearCat204 Chieftain

I know some might not like him, but I think GAvol is solid most of the time over there. JMO

9. JayVols

Will keep you in my thoughts hoping that you recover. When the bad memories start to take over, just remember:

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 8, 2011
  10. BearCat204

BearCat204 Chieftain

Yeah, he seems like good people

11. JayVols

Agreed.

12. volfanjo

volfanjo Chieftain

Here is the funny thing about the "recruiting gurus":

In order to properly evaluate a player:

1. You have to have film or see a player in person.
    1a. If you do see film, you need to see all of it, not just the highlights or sped up tape.
    1b. If you see in person, one must take into account scheme, opposing scheme, coaching on both sides, talent level of surrounding players and opponents, and so on.

If you solve Point 1:

2. You need to know what you are looking for. What does a good linebacker do? A guard? Do we know the QB's reads? Is this the right player for a particular scheme, 3-4, 4-3, option, spread, pro-style, and so on.

If you solve Point 2:

3. You then must know the "intangible" factors: grades, character, home issues... all the things that can be the clincher to making sense of how good a recruit could be.

If you solve Point 3:

4. You have to then replicate the above activities for every player committed and every player recruited.

If you Solve Point 4:

5. Chances are you don't sit around talking about recruiting with college kids on a message board. All any of us can do is make educated guesses based on the very minimal information we have. Of course, the 'recruiting gurus' will never understand this.

13. justingroves

justingroves supermod

But Rivals said he runs a 4.3!!!!!

On top of all that you mentioned (which I agree with 100%),this is another thing that gets me about the "gurus". Straight line speed means nothing in most sports. How many plays in football is a player going to run a 40 yard sprint uninhibited?

14. VOLinDAWGland

VOLinDAWGland Contributor

The other silly thing that cracks me up with the recruitards (love that) is the attachment they get for a recruit like Cross when the staff cuts him loose because they believe they can get a better player. I thought it was a great sign that they let Cross go and hope they'll cut a couple more loose as well.

15. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

This may be the greatest recruiting post in the history of the interwebz.

16. Beechervol

Beechervol Super Moderator

Solid effort.

17. Beechervol

Beechervol Super Moderator

Hats off to the mod (WK) that left it up long enough to get some views and reactions.

18. VOLFREAK11

VOLFREAK11 New Member

Yep, and if your going to run a 40 yard dash I don't see why you shouldn't do it with pads on, more realistic of how your speed will be in a game.

19. chavisut

chavisut Dan Mullen Fan Club President

The thing that kills me is how every year, new recruits are supposed to come in and start day one over guys that from the last class that were supposed to start day one. It's a never ending cycle.

20. chavisut

chavisut Dan Mullen Fan Club President

A month ago we didn't need an OL in this class. Now, half the board thinks this Cochran guy will start the first game.