POLITICS Amazon & Unions

Discussion in 'Politicants' started by Tenacious D, Feb 25, 2019.

1. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

I can stop up a sprinkler head going full blast with 2 wedges of wood while completely blindfolded. Had to do it to get my state Firefighter 2 certification.

Don't know why I posted that. Seemed apropos.

justingroves and IP like this.
  2. justingroves

justingroves supermod

A lot of it is "this is the way we've always done it and we ain't changing for you!" I've heard that said more than once.

I don't mess with interior sprinklers, I just get water to them.

3. justingroves

justingroves supermod

I've been called worse

Tenacious D likes this.
  4. justingroves

justingroves supermod

I would think the original sprinkler system would have been way overkill for a newer office space because anything health care wise is way over sized. That's just what I've seen.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2019
    Tenacious D likes this.
  5. JayVols

I should have demanded tax incentives from the county before I built my house. As it is, I actually have to pay them instead.

6. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Metro Nashville has a good gig going where they make anyone renovating a building in the downtown area completely renovate the storm water. It's a simple easy fix to a failing system.

People raise hell about the tax breaks some have gotten here, but they are spending millions on fixing that just to cut in a new door or paint the exterior of an existing building.

7. JayVols

I can better understand the breaks if the company is doing something to improve the infrastructure that has a genuine public benefit. The tax money would be spent on those type things anyway.

Just asking, but isn't that system pure semantics? It's seems like it's just who pays to do it. Is there an actual benefit or disadvantage to doing it that way?

8. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Pretty much just semantics. Yes, they're saving money tax wise but they're spending a lot on infrastructure that's not normal for what they're doing that the taxes would have eventually paid for (or been budgeted for, but never actually used for that specific purpose because the mayor gets fired)

9. JayVols

Understand. Thanks.

10. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

I would be fine if every state, county, and city all said they were ending tax breaks in business recruitment.

But, unfortunately, if you want to recruit businesses of notable size now, tax breaks are part of it because every place is doing it.

11. JayVols

Truth.

It's extortion-like, imo. Same can be said for pro stadium construction.

justingroves likes this.
  12. CardinalVol

Don't get me started on that.

JayVols and justingroves like this.
  13. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

How do you feel about tax breaks to entice big businesses to set up shop in a particular area?

14. CardinalVol

It's part of the game. Not necessarily a fan of it, but understand that you have to do it.

Unlike pro-stadium construction at taxpayer cost, I at least can understand that the tax breaks might be worth it long term for additional economic development as a result. There is also the point of "Is it too much?" for some areas as well.

15. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

I was actually just joking, but I see now I misread your "don't get me started on that". Thought it was about that issue, not stadium construction.

16. justingroves

justingroves supermod

The pro-stadium construction wouldn't piss me off as much if you had to use local contractors and local suppliers.

17. JayVols

[​IMG]

18. IP

IP Super Moderator

why not both? the tail has been wagging the dog for so long, bribery has become normal. the city, the market, etc has value too. not just the stadium and presence of the league.

19. justingroves

justingroves supermod

What do you mean both? Businesses and stadiums?

20. IP

IP Super Moderator

use local businesses, no huge tax breaks