Anyone going to any Bowl games?

Discussion in 'Sports' started by VolDad, Dec 19, 2011.

Tags:
  1. VolDad

VolDad Super Moderator

I usually go to the Chick-fil-A Bowl but am thinking about the Rose Bowl this year.

2. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Rose Bowl really isn't that great of a venue. It would still be a fun trip though.

3. VolDad

VolDad Super Moderator

The matchup (Oregon/Wisconsin) intrigues me.

4. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

i'm going to the holiday bowl. frankly i wouldn't go to teh rose bowl unless cal was in it. expensive tickets, shitty sightlines.

5. VolDad

VolDad Super Moderator

I hope to wash this from my mind

[video=youtube;ap0jRLPl8Qk]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ap0jRLPl8Qk[/video]

6. justingroves

justingroves supermod

I had an offer to go to New Orleans this year if I would wear Alabama gear. I turned it down

7. kidbourbon

kidbourbon Well-Known Member

I went to the Military Bowl yesterday. Actually had a good time. I love MACtion. Would have been better if Toledo covered, but I had it backed up on the moneyline so it just pushed out.*

*A play that I concocted on the fly a couple years ago and have grown to love is what I call "moneyline backup". Pretty straightforward. If I have 100 on the spread, I also put 110 on the moneyline. If the favored team wins and covers, I get 210. If they win but don't cover, the moneyline covers the spread bet plus juice and I end up even. If they lose outright (in this example) I am out 110 + (1.1 times the moneyline). Obviously, the idea is to maximize the first option and minimize the third option. I like this play because it is clean and simple. One might ask: why not just do the moneyline play without the spread bet? I would say: good question. The reason is mainly because with this play it forces me to answer the question "will team X beat team Y by, say, 12 points" rather than simply "will team X beat team Y by a single point". As much as I'd like to think that I could answer the former question in the context of a moneyline play, the reality is that I really can't. The instances in gambling where I have fared poorly were all directly attributable to lack of restraint. Getting too loose. The ML backup play provides a built in restraint system. You only take the games if you think they're going to cover the spread. And, obviously, if you think they're going to cover the spread, you're probably pretty well convinced they're going to win the game outright.