Ball St Game Day Experience Thoughts

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by The Dooz, Sep 2, 2022.

1. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

ATT won't work in there unless something has changed.

2. Poppa T

Poppa T Vol Geezer

No worries for me. I rarely took my phone in Neyland (few times I did was to get pic of grandkids before they were old enuff to have phone or pic of inside stadium).

I have to take it now, but only to get in. I download tix to wallet at home where I know it will take no time. Don't GAS if they have wifi or cell service in Neyland.

I never take my phone on golf course.

<insert "OK, Boomer" gif>

justingroves, IP and VOLinDAWGland like this.
  3. utvol0427

utvol0427 Chieftain

I have ATT and actually had pretty good service in the stadium last night, to the point that I wondered if they had done something to improve cell service. I was able to get on here and Twitter with no issues. My wife was sending/receiving picture messages and posting videos on Facebook.

4. IP

IP Super Moderator

Ya I was getting pics and texts from people who had ATT. That were there.

5. utvol0427

utvol0427 Chieftain

Coming through the gate about 45 minutes before kickoff was simple. I went in through the Truly tailgate area, stood in line for a couple of minutes to get through the metal detector (they had two at that gate) and then immediately walked up to one of the scanners. Had added my tickets to my Apple Wallet so all I had to do was have it open and put it near the scanner. It wasn't any worse than previous years, but I still prefer a paper ticket. I've saved my ticket stubs for every game I've attended since I was a kid, which at this point is probably over 200. My dad has a collection of stubs going back to the 70s. I don't like that we can't collect them now.

justingroves likes this.
  6. utvol0427

utvol0427 Chieftain

Also, had metal in my pocket that didn't trigger the metal detector and they weren't doing pat downs any more which will make carrying booze into the stadium even easier.

7. JT5

JT5 Super Moderator

I had to listen to half the game in the car on my drive to the beach.

It’s interesting to hear Kesling’s call, then actually see the video footage of the same play later.

He’ll say something like “…Hooker hands it to Small…Small scratching, clawing, wrestling…fighting for a few yards….”

And you get the sense that there’s no push, no hole, damn thing’s stuffed at the line of scrimmage…soft, sorry asses…

then you watch the actual play without Kesling and it’s like, Small inside zone, nice hole, 6 yards before contact, and then he’s tackled.

8. HCKevinSteele

HCKevinSteele Well-Known Member

That was me. Probably approached gate about 6:35. I generally go in 45 min to an hour early but was with a big group of friends that never get to see each other at a tailgate. It was pretty brutal, they had most gates closed. I’ve only been to two games since 2015 so no idea if that’s normal or not. They moved as quickly as they could though so I’m not complaining. Was still in my seat with a beer for kickoff.

9. PilotFlyingJ

PilotFlyingJ Chieftain

Paging @Ssmiff , lol.

In the defense of all radio broadcasters that cover the game, play by play men have always taken liberties with the on field action for the purpose of generating excitement and drama. In today's reality though, whatever it is that Bob Kesling does from the microphone is no better than that which a foreigner could accomplish while witnessing his first game.

utvol0427 and Ssmiff like this.
  10. InVolNerable

InVolNerable Fark Master Flex

I'm looking to take my son to his first game. Was going to do Ball State cause that's where both my in-laws went. Didn't work out being a Thursday game, but still looking at something this year, probably Akron.

Kind of disappointed it's purely e-tickets now. Not for some boomer, "I don't trust tech" reason. They just make great souvenirs. I still have the stub from my first game.

[​IMG]

Poppa T and justingroves like this.
  11. PilotFlyingJ

PilotFlyingJ Chieftain

I've got the same stub!

Poppa T likes this.
  12. justingroves

justingroves supermod

I've got the majority of the ticket stubs from the games I've been to, too.

Poppa T likes this.
  13. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

I had about a billion of them and I guess they just lost their luster

14. PilotFlyingJ

PilotFlyingJ Chieftain

When you've got the stubs from soccer games mixed in with them they're going to lose their luster.