Biggest Disasters in SEC History

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by Tar Volon, Jul 24, 2013.

Tags:
  1. Tar Volon

Tar Volon Me Blog @RockyTopTalk.com

The SEC blogs on SBNation are doing a series on worst disasters in SEC history. Each team-specific blog is submitting what we consider to be the worst in our program's history. This is my argument: http://www.rockytoptalk.com/2013/7/24/4550896/biggest-disasters-in-sec-history-hiring-derek-dooley

You'd be amazed at the folks tweeting responses who still think firing Fulmer or hiring Kiffin was worse. Although the people who say the biggest disaster was hiring Hamilton might have a point.

2. kidbourbon

kidbourbon Well-Known Member

I was actually about to post this on your behalf. Well done.

3. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

Has to be hiring Dooley. Hamilton even got a thing or 2 right in spite of himself.

4. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

I agree that there should have been a poll with Dooley's Hiring as the only option. Other than that, good work.

Have you ever gotten to meet the EDSBS guys before?

5. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

Derek F'n Dooley, Period/end of discussion.

6. Tar Volon

It was a good suggestion. Refresh and it's there now.

And no, sadly, I have not. That's a funny bunch, and Spencer is a hell of a writer.

7. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

Yes he is. He is also brilliant.

8. MWR

MWR Contributor

And did you forget to mention that he's a piece of ****?

9. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Kiffin's eight dollar buyout was the disaster

10. JayVols

I did. Thanks for pointing that out. I'll remedy my omission right now:

[ddiapos] is a piece of shit!

11. hatvol96

hatvol96 Well-Known Member

Here's how bad Dooley was in his tenure here. He makes LSU hiring Curly Hallman and South Carolina employing Brad Scott look like inspired decisions.

12. hatvol96

hatvol96 Well-Known Member

It showed what an awful negotiator Hamilton was. That said, reality is you couldn't have made the buyout big enough for Kiffin to turn down USC.

13. JayVols

I can't begin to express the depths of my hatred for that sum[itch bay]. The strongest words in the english language are woefully lacking.

14. Tar Volon

Like that way of putting it.

I've had a few folks say he was just a mediocre coach with a bad roster and bad luck, and that all he was expected to do anyways was keep the seat warm. My question: if your only job is to keep the roster from imploding until we find a real coach, and you fail at that job, how high does that put you on the ineptitude list, no matter what else happens in your tenure?

15. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

Worst three year run in a century. What more needs said?

16. IP

IP Super Moderator

Could have made it big enough to pay for the next coach and not get one at the dollar store.

17. ptclaus98

ptclaus98 Contributor

I was gonna say that you could make the buyout big enough for USC toturn down Kiffin, but then I remembered who USC's AD was back then.

18. justingroves

justingroves supermod

True, but I would feel much better about Kiffin leaving had USC owed Tennessee about six million dollars

19. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

The article was spot on prosecution of the [ddiapos] regime. Kudos.

20. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

True.

But it could have been large enough to possibly dissuade USC from offering the job.