Biggest Recruiting Bust in the Last 20 Years

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by BearCat204, Aug 15, 2011.

1. BearCat204

BearCat204 Chieftain

With all the recruiting talk and the need to get quality guys here, wanted to know what the biggest recruiting busts that you can remember. Bryce Brown is off limits.

discuss...

2. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Donald

LaRon Harris

Daniel Brooks

Kenny O'Neal

3. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Steven Jones was a huge bust too

4. govols182

govols182 Honorary Mod

All I remember everyone talking about was how great Chris Donald was going to be and how he was the next Al Wilson. I never saw it when watching his videos. He blitzed every play.

I'd go with him for being just a bust.

As far as a bust from off the field troubles it'd probably be Daniel Brooks.

5. JT5

JT5 Super Moderator

Chris Donald tops the list.

Montrell Jones
    Jabari Davis
    Walter Fisher

Only a 3-star, so not really a bust, but I remember being very excited about William Brimfield. Thought he'd turn into a monster at the collegiate level. Was worthless.

6. chavisut

chavisut Dan Mullen Fan Club President

Chris Donald
    Jabari Davis

Gerald Riggs is probably the recruit I've been the most excited about. Wouldn't label him a bust, but he didn't really live up to his 5 star rating.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2011
  7. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

I remember the Cal game in 2007. Both Vinson and O'Neal got in the game briefly at receiver. It was almost like they were just doing it because they knew they were going to lose and wanted to get fans fired up about the badass recruits brought in that would eventually save UT football. Then, Vinson moved to DB and O'Neal never played another meaningful down. I highly doubt that all of a sudden four other receivers just randomly got better than those two. Fulmer was pulling the same shit Kiffin pulled with Nukeese against WKU in 2009. The difference being, that we beat the shit out of WKU and that outcome was never in doubt. O'Neal and Vinson were playing while we were down 14.

Anyway, both those guys were pretty big busts.

8. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Also, I really thought the Houson, Riggs, JTrain, Tinsley backfield was really mismanaged. Houston should have been your main guy. Riggs comes in fairly often for a little power. Tinsley a little less often for some speed and 3rd downs. Jabari makes sure the other three all have plenty of water.

9. justingroves

justingroves supermod

At least Vinson looked like an SEC quality player for a game or two

10. countvolcula

countvolcula New Member

Who was the *5 RB from several years back that never made it in and was a huge bust?

Cant remember his name

11. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Darden?

12. Hobock

Hobock New Member

Yep. Brian Darden tops my list of biggest busts. Followed by Brooks and Coker.

On a side note: I'm very glad to hear that Brooks turned his life around. I heard he was a Knox Co. Sheriff's Deputy.

13. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

I think I heard Darden's highlights were so impressive that players demanded a replay during one of those banquets and he's the only guy to have ever received that honor. No idea if that is true or not.

14. countvolcula

countvolcula New Member

Exactly! Thanks

15. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

Fulmer ended his career with almost exclusively busts. We actually own this category for the last decade.

16. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

Brian Darden is hands down the biggest bust in my book followed by Donald at #2.

I really can't make myself call Kenny O'Neal a bust just because of all the crap that happened to him that he had no control over.

17. Volnbama

Volnbama Contributor

18. tidwell

tidwell Chieftain

What do you mean what happened? Looks like he played for the Packers. Dude did OK, imo.

19. justingroves

justingroves supermod

20. govols182

govols182 Honorary Mod

I think he ended up playing at NC State.