Bryant Gumbel Calls NBA Commish "Plantation Overseer"

Discussion in 'Sports' started by VolDad, Oct 19, 2011.

1. VolDad

VolDad Super Moderator

Bryant Gumbel invoked race in a televised editorial on the NBA's strained labor talks, likening league Commissioner David Stern to a "plantation overseer."

Gumbel ended Tuesday's edition of HBO's "Real Sports" by taking aim at Stern, who he said is to blame for the lockout that threatens the entire season. He said Stern's "disdain for the players" is "pathetic."

"But his efforts were typical of a commissioner, who has always seemed eager to be viewed as some kind of modern plantation overseer treating NBA men as if they were his boys," Gumbel said. "It’s part of Stern’s M.O. Like his past self-serving edicts on dress code or the questioning of officials, his moves are intended to do little more than show how he’s the one keeping the hired hands in their place."

Bryant Gumbel Calls NBA Commish "Plantation Overseer" | NBC New York

2. NYY

NYY Super Moderator

Race card flashing at its finest.

3. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

what a [uck fay]ing idiot. comparing slavery to a job that 99.999999% of white males would cut off their left nut to get is rather insulting to his people's former plight.

1 person likes this.
  4. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Gumbel should have pulled this out:

"Your name is Toby" Stern was quoted as saying in a recent meeting with Derek Fisher, the NBAPA president.

5. IP

IP Super Moderator

Oh, to be a slave on that plantation.

6. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

I guess Wayne Brady really does make him look like Malcom X.

7. NBA's 'average' salary in 2011 -- $5.15M

Yowza, Massa....where do I report for plantation duty?

8. 615 Vol

615 Vol Chieftain

I'd hate to see what Gumbel thinks of Roger Goodell.

9. GahLee

GahLee Director of Conspiracy Theories, 8th Maxim

Bryant Gumbel, is he even black? I mean he and Tony Gwynn are easily the whitest black guys to ever live...what a douche.