Buck and Aikman

Discussion in 'Sports' started by cotton, Jan 23, 2012.

1. cotton

cotton Stand-up Philosopher

Those guys are the best in the business today.

Every time I hear Joe and Troy call a game, I despise Verne and Gary just a little more. There is no way I could despise Musburger more.

2. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

I personally like Michaels and Collinsworth the best, but Buck and Aikman are not far behind.

I just don't get the hatred for Buck.

That said, I don't get the hate for Gary either. Verne is understandable, but I like Gary.

3. volfanbill

volfanbill Active Member

I do really enjoy listening to Buck and Aikman call football games. In baseball, I think Buck is absolutely horrible. He's a big reason why so many fans find baseball boring. He's so slow and soft with his delivery and no excitement in his stories (which are few). Add in the fact the Tim McCarver is even worse than Buck and it makes me watch a lot of games on mute. I don't see how he can show so much more excitement and energy for football and not bring it for baseball. It pisses me off.

4. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

I've briefly chatted with Buck before and really don't think he's smug. But I understand how he could come across that way.

Verne is the worst ever. He would be better suited to just follow Tim Tebow around and narrate his life.

5. cotton

I could tolerate Verne. He is like the drunk old man who doesn't know what he is talking about but is proud and impressed by all the wonderful things that everybody is doing.

Gary is despicable. He spends most of his time degrading one particular aspect of one particular team, and he is wrong in his choice more often than not. Put together, as CBS's A-team, they suck tremendously.

6. justingroves

justingroves supermod

I hate Joe Buck.

7. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

i have a buddy who does fox's travel for on air talent and apparently aikman is a huge asshole and hates buck so much he won't even share a limo to and from the airport with him.

8. Buck probably tried to throw Aikman the backdoor slider.

9. cotton

As a human being or as an announcer?

10. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

i don't mind him. he's not all that exciting. the one i don't like at all is marv albert's kid.

11. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

Maybe I'm a complete homer because I grew up listening to Jack Buck as a Cardinals fan, but I've always liked joe too. I've always thought he did a good job without trying to take over the event and make it about him. Also really enjoy Gary Danielson.

I don't think any American guys do the job as well as Martin Tyler or Ian Darke, if any of y'all watch soccer. Simply the best at having their own style yet letting the event, not themselves, take center stage.

As to Aikman and Buck hating each other, if that's true then it makes the job they do that much more impressive. Don't see how you could do that kind of work with someone you couldn't stand personally. That said, maybe it happens more than I realize.

12. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Announcer

13. volfanjo

volfanjo Chieftain

Todd Blackledge is the best analyst in the business. Gary D. actually knows his stuff and I have learned a lot from him, especially before he went to CBS. Once he was introduced to Tim Tebow it was all over though.

I actually like Andre Ware quite a bit too, even if Dave Neal brings him down some.

14. volfanjo

volfanjo Chieftain

Agree with Charles Davis and not just because he was a Vol. The guy is a straight professional.

I like Brad Nessler when it comes to play by play guys.