Butch's Bowl Bonus

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by Tenacious D, Nov 16, 2015.

1. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

By hitting 6 wins, and becoming bowl-eligible, Butch qualified for a $100k bonus.

If he makes a New Year's Day bowl, he'll make another $300k.

GBFO.

2. Oldvol75

Oldvol75 Super Bigfoot Guru Mod

This makes me want to scream!

3. Joseph Brant

Joseph Brant Airbrush Aficionado

Nice payday for a marginal body of work

4. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

Marginal? That's as generous as I can imagine anyone being with a coach who was a national punchline for the only half of the season that mattered.

5. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

I wouldn't be surprised if they all have this kind of nonsense in their contracts

6. **TDCVOL**

**TDCVOL** Contributor

Didn't Fulmer get an extension after 8 wins or something stupid?

7. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

Coacho Ocho

8. hohenfelsvol

hohenfelsvol Beer run

It was the joke of the season for the media. And to boot, if I remember right, that was the year he couldn't deliver and "retired".

9. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

Would not be surprised if this is SOP accross board.

10. zero-sum

zero-sum New Member

If he has any character he would donate said proceeds (bonus) to the children's hospital

11. 615 Vol

615 Vol Chieftain

I can't blame him for making money. It's the idiots handing it out I have a problem with.

12. CardinalVol

Ditto. I've got zero problem with him taking it. He met the threshhold, he deserves to get paid.

The threshhold, however, is an entirely different argument. That's ridiculous.

13. GahLee

GahLee Director of Conspiracy Theories, 8th Maxim

Because that's what you'd do?

14. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

I no more "blame" Butch for this, than I "blamed" Jumper for being a Walter State-caliber LB being inserted into an SEC lineup.

My point was just to point out that Jones' contract guarantees him a $100k raise for just going to a bowl game, and $300k for making what should be a standard New Year's Day bowl game.

Is this unique to Jones' contract? Absolutely not - many, if not all, have similar bonus structures.

But that any TN contract would reward any coach for merely winning 1/2 their games borders on gross negligence. And, that he made this "gimme" bonus should come in handy, as a ready example, both as to where this Administration has set the bar of our program's "success", and so as to refute any imbecilic argument that he deserves a raise at the end of this season.

Like Basilio has been saying, bonuses like this and buyout clauses are, ultimately, "fail money" - I'd much rather pay Jones $5M/yr with no bonuses except for SEC/NC, and a $0 buyout.

Wanna raise? Bring home a meaningful trophy.
    Want to hang around? If you don't bring home a trophy, you had better be damned-close to it, in failing, or get to that level, and too quick to talk about it.

Butch's "Year 0" and all of the "youth" and "focus" nonsense is, quite literally, only possible because of his enormous buyout. It allows him to hold us hostage to go along with his bullshit. Take that away, and see how much you hear about "youth", "focus", and "charts".

15. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

Gigantic buyouts are ignorant. Iowa, while having a "great" season so far, is completely hamstrung by the stupid contract they gave their coach. UT is in a similar position.

16. CardinalVol

I'd love to see a contract totally incentive based. $200-400K a win, academic performance, recruiting rankings, etc.

No coach would ever agree to it, but I'd love to see it.

17. IP

IP Super Moderator

Would make it hard for coaches to nickel and dime their way through raises each year when they are always leaving money on the table.

18. IP

IP Super Moderator

Just saw a bowl prediction that has us in the Liberty Bowl. Barf.

19. CardinalVol

Palm?

If SEC can sneak a third team into the Peach Bowl (looking at you Florida), I still say we've got a decent chance to get to Outback just on fan support. And if Hart has one redeeming quality, he's got a good relationship with all the Florida bowls.

20. zero-sum

zero-sum New Member

Blame him? Nah, considering the product he puts out on saturdays he's got it pretty darn good

I have a problem w/ both he and the idiots