Cal to open 2016 season in australia against baylor?

Discussion in 'Cal Bears' started by droski, Jun 17, 2015.

1. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

Sans goff this sounds like a great way to get our ass kicked. also would mean we would dump south Dakota and lose a home game. non conference: sdsu on road, Texas, Baylor. yikes! feeling a bit like a div 1aa team here.

Here's the rivals article: https://baylor.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1775525

SicEmSports has learned that an agreement for Baylor's 2016 overseas season opener is in the last stages of being finalized. All signs point to the game being played in Australia. All signs point to the Bears playing the University of California-Berkeley Golden Bears.

2. IP

IP Super Moderator

... That'll be a butt-kicking post-Goff.

3. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

sounds like a dumb idea to me. hard to believe it would be a major pay day either.

4. utvol0427

utvol0427 Chieftain

Who the **** in Australia would care about a Baylor vs Cal football game?

5. Low Country Vol

Low Country Vol Contributor

A winter game in August.

6. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

Doubt many in America would care either. I suppose as an exhibition it might draw ok, but factor in the cost of the trip, it's hard to imagine it making all the parties involved much money.

7. IP

IP Super Moderator

Also, there are some Australians who are interested in American football. At least, I have met a few. Enough to make this worthwhile? Well no. I can't say that.

8. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

Even if they sell it out, I don't see a lot of upside here. And if the NFL hasn't seen any reason go to there, I have to think the interest is minimal

9. kmf600

kmf600 Energy vampire

Crikey

10. OrangeEmpire

OrangeEmpire Take a chance, Custer did

So a corporate big wig didn't want to travel to Cal and brought the get to him ?

11. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

laughed

12. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

more likely our administration is just dumb.

13. OrangeEmpire

How much is Cal getting?

Is the AD that hard up for cash?

14. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

hasn't been disclosed, but I'm sure they THINK they are going to make more money than a home game against some div 1aa opponent. I have my doubts given the costs though. maybe they are going to try to back out of the san diego state road game. but that probably gives them too much credit.

They think they are. Mostly because we chose to fund the shit out of the non revenue sports. the football team is in the top-25 nationally in revenue, so it shouldnt' be as bad as it is.

15. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

and sadly the reaction from the cal fanbase has been mostly positive. way too many booster losers who literally can't plan a ****ing vacation unless there is a cal event to attend. look I know you want an excuse to go to Australia, but why not go there on your own and NOT have the pleasure of seeing your favorite team lose by 4 tds?

16. OrangeEmpire

Fantastic

17. IP

IP Super Moderator

I love this subforum. Cal is like a dark alternate universe version of Tennessee. You could almost see it happen...

18. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

Both fanbases seem equally gullible

19. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

Just had a nice argument with someone suggesting we weren't landing top end recruits because our coach cares so much about academics. Apparently having the 11th rated apr in the conference means we recruit like northwestern

20. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

But you are not in last place!!