Can Josh Dobbs Win the Job?

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by Tenacious D, Apr 23, 2013.

1. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

Prior to Saturday's game, I put the odds of Dobbs winning the job in fall camp at less than 2%.

But after the OW game....it makes me wonder how much more likely his chances now are. Of course, this is all still "sight unseen" (he could be worse than Worley and Peterman, if only a statistical probability).

But what if the kid comes on campus and is better than the rest? Not "head and shoulders", necessarily, but just more solid, all around? What are the chances that Jones gives him the nod?

2. Oldvol75

Oldvol75 Super Bigfoot Guru Mod

I have a feeling that he (Jones) will do whatever he has to do to win.

3. I would have to think he'd play Dobbs. I don't know why he would give special treatment to Peterman or Worley, since neither are "his guys".

4. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

What was your over all feel of coach jones, OV?

5. Beechervol

Beechervol Super Moderator

Given where the roster is he can roll the dice if he thinks one of the true Fr. has better upside.

Not sure what Jones will do, but it would not surprise me at all to see Dobbs starting by mid season.

6. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

very hard for a true frosh to see the field unless he's playing spring ball and even then not many even servicable true frosh qbs in NCAA history.

7. Beechervol

If you have something serviceable in front of him I agree. Im not sure we do.

8. IP

IP Super Moderator

As is, unless Worley starts making some reads I think Peterman will get the nod just due to having more upside.

9. Oldvol75

Oldvol75 Super Bigfoot Guru Mod

After meeting him and talking to him and listening to others as they talked him, he will be a good coach. A thousand times better than what left here. From what I have seen, he "coaches", not just there for lip service and interviews. He seems to really love being here and to me, that speaks volumes. He understands more what it takes to get a program back to where it needs to be.

After discussing some things with my son while traveling, he made a comment that I respect. We were talking about "could he coach in the SEC". He made the statement That neither had Saban, Myer, or Miles had coached in the SEC before they were head coaches in the SEC.

10. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Tennessee has been fortunate in that regard.

Manning, Clausen and the combo of Ainge and Schaeffer just in the past 20 years.

11. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

a lot easier to do when you have nfl talent surrounding him. see barkley at USC who'd i'd argue wasn't even very good as a true frosh. manning of course is a freak.

12. Beechervol

Sure it is. This will not be a decision made that will have an impact on a title run in 13'. This will have more to do with who will be your QB in 14' and 15'. If he is currently a true Fr. so be it. IMO

13. BigOrangeBeech

BigOrangeBeech Poster of the Month, July 2014 and recruiting guy!

Dobbs will have every opportunity to take the job at some point this season. Worley will get killed trying to run the ball, Petetman is more athletic but I'm not sure is quick enough, and neither one has shown much passing the ball either. Doesn't mean they cant get better or that the O&W game is not a good gauge since they weren't live, but we're gonna need someone like a Dobbs to run this offense. Unless Peterman has some Tebow in him and can just plow over people...

The QB in this type of offense needs to be an actual dual threat to be successful. At least be able to stretch the D with the passing game, and run for 7 or 8 yards on the read option every now and then.

14. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

I don't remember Tony Pike running the ball much.

15. BigOrangeBeech

BigOrangeBeech Poster of the Month, July 2014 and recruiting guy!

Pike wasn't a Jones recruit either.

16. zero-sum

zero-sum New Member

I'll offer all things being equal Dobbs will get the nod.

17. yont sum iss?

yont sum iss? Contributor

He's apparently exceptionally intelligent. If that translates to football, I'd say he has a very good chance. I've never believed in Worley and don't really know much about Peterman. I'd say it eventually becomes a Dobbs/Peterman battle though.

18. RoadTrip

RoadTrip New Member

The UC offense with Collaros was not as productive on zone read in 2011, but it was partly because he was injured some of the year. Pead carried the offense that year along with part of our defense. He had like 150+ yards rushing.

Be careful about thinking that zone read is the answer. If the dual threat doesn't have really good passing skills as well you end up with a FSU/Manuel situation. OK, but never good enough to get you over the top. Jones knows this. You are building a roster and a program long term for these different schemes. I see Ferguson as a Peterman type. Pass first, but good set of wheels. If Dobbs can handle the passing game scheme efficiently, then you probably give him the reins and see what happens once it slows down some for him and if the wins are not forthcoming. If I am Jones, I have the ability to run zone read in mind, but start the season with Worley if he has a good fall camp. Get the sure wins and see where he can take it while all of the team gets better at their roles. Buys time to better develop the QB newbies. In the end it could be a two QB system rules the day. It did when Cincy was hot under Kelly running a similar system.

19. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

Coaching rule #745

When things are equal, start the youngest player.

20. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

You got that right