Chip v. Gruden

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by kidbourbon, Oct 18, 2017.

1. kidbourbon

kidbourbon Well-Known Member

Assume that we can have either one. Who would you take and why? Who are we more likely to get? Try to set aside for a moment the grumor grusades. Wouldn't Chip be an easier sell? Wouldn't he seemingly be delighted to come coach here? Or not...I'm not sure.

Discuss.

2. justingroves

justingroves supermod

I'll take Gruden.

I think Kelly is a fantastic coach. I do wonder if what made him special at Oregon has been ripped off enough that it isn't special anymore.

He's also a really stupid cheater. You don't write handwritten notes with your payments by check. Come on man.

3. BigOrangeBeech

BigOrangeBeech Poster of the Month, July 2014 and recruiting guy!

I'll take Gruden as well. And I think it's a better chance we get Gruden.

I'm not sure we get either one unfortunately.

4. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

My heart wants Gruden. My head says Chip is more of a slam dunk. Not worried about the newness being gone from his system. Almost any offensive system can work if it is well-coached. I think Gruden is a better cultural fit than Chip at Tennessee (and probably anywhere).

5. NEW COACH

NEW COACH Contributor

Gruden for many reasons other than football

6. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

Chip Kelly is an elite and program-changing coach.

Gruden is much, much better, top to bottom, sideways, at every point in-between, and it's not even close.

7. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

I think so. I think he'll be coaching college football next year. I've got a bad feeling it's at Florida. Hopefully,it's at UCLA.

8. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

I think Gruden's ceiling is higher and his floor is lower.

9. justingroves

justingroves supermod

If I had to put money on it, I would say UCLA

10. GahLee

GahLee Director of Conspiracy Theories, 8th Maxim

One guy has proven himself at the college level. The other is a unicorn.

11. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

Kelly won't bring together all the camps at Tennessee so I we actually have a way higher chance of getting Gruden.

Peyton is doing a good job of bringing Fulmers camp into this to give it a chance of working.

12. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

It'll be interesting to see how Kelly does to adjust to defenses catching up to his style.

13. hohenfelsvol

hohenfelsvol Beer run

All in until he’s all out. Grud.

14. MaconVol

MaconVol Chieftain

Gruden would unite all the divided factions at UT. Chip would not.

15. IP

IP Super Moderator

I don't worry about lottery payments vs lump sums.

16. MWR

MWR Contributor

Gruden

17. ben4vols

ben4vols Contributor

Give me Gruden or shut it down.

18. Tenacious D

Perfectly stated. Chip will kill it, wherever he goes - and particularly at UCLA with it's talent-rich fields of recruits.

19. alumvol08

alumvol08 Active Member

Gruden.

20. Tenacious D

I agree with this, but I like his chances to continue to evolve and stay ahead of the game.

I think defenses have largely caught up to people who have tried to run some portion of his style / tempo. But however closely they may have mirrored his, the imitations just haven't been the same, or continued to evolve, as Chip will continue to do.

Just like so many teams have hired Saban's guys, thinking they'd get a defense like he runs, they quickly find out that there's a huge difference between hiring THE GUY versus just some dude who worked for him.