Classes canceled for Appy State game

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by droski, Jun 14, 2016.

1. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

http://www.campusrush.com/tennessee...football-opener-1858340786.html?xid=cr_social

makes sense since the students likely won't show up to class anyway, but doing this for a div 1aa is going to get some people on the "football matters too much" bandwagon. I've been to multiple USC Thursday night games and they've never canceled class which actually makes it a huge pain in the ass to attend since the parking lots aren't all open and tailgating on campus is banned.

2. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

They're FBS now

3. hohenfelsvol

hohenfelsvol Beer run

The next morning is when students will wish there was no class

4. RockyHill

RockyHill Loves Auburn more than Tennessee.

I saw that because of this there will be finals scheduled the same day as the SECCG.

5. hohenfelsvol

hohenfelsvol Beer run

Historically has not been an issue for a long long long long time

6. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

either way, twitter is filled with idiots lamenting the state of college athletics being too important. it's all too predictable.

7. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

there are finals on Sats? now that I think about it I think I had finals on sat. absurd.

8. IP

IP Super Moderator

Maybe it works out with the class schedule. Just add a T/Th in December.

But ya, I don't think Thursday nights are a good fit on that campus.

9. hohenfelsvol

hohenfelsvol Beer run

This ain't *******

Wow. Berk-ley is a cuss word now. Nice.

10. IP

IP Super Moderator

University of Denver had them on Sundays sometimes. Never even heard of that.

11. RockyHill

Jalen Hurd and Derek Barnett say f**k history.

12. hohenfelsvol

hohenfelsvol Beer run

F**k yea!!!

13. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

i'm just going to post this here for my amusement:

Jon Solomon ‏@JonSolomonCBS · 2h2 hours ago

Jon Solomon Retweeted PrepXtra

Well, this is one way to integrate athletes with student body: Have TV move Vols game to Thursday & cancel classes.

Sarah Anderson ‏@SarahEmilyn · 5m5 minutes ago

Only in the south do they cancel classes for football games...

BBK8 ‏@KateStamper · 2h2 hours ago

UT will cancel classes for a football game but we can't maintain a Pride Center.

14. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

classes get canceled for all sorts of dumber reasons. I imagine this is more of a logistical thing. I do think it's kind of dumb to have this game on thurs in the first place though.

15. IP

IP Super Moderator

I see it like this: If this is a once in a decade sort of thing, no big deal. If they started trying to do this every year, I'd question it's value vs the disruption.

16. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

seem strange to do a once in a decade sort of thing for appy state. I imagine you will see more of this. tv is king even in the sec. as I said USC has had one every year on Thursday (pac-12 requires you host at least one weekday game every other year btw) and doesn't cancel classes which ****s up everything and makes it impossible for people to get to the game on time. makes the atmosphere on gameday suck. it feels like an exhibition game.

17. hohenfelsvol

hohenfelsvol Beer run

USC doesn't even play on campus does it? And they overall probably wouldn't show up for a Thursday game.

This is being done primarily for logistics of paying ticket holders to use parking lots and set up early. This is not being done for the benefit of the students.

18. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

virtually every parking space on campus short of non-commuter students is sold for football parking, and our entire parking lot is reserved for RVs. there just isn't any logistical way to make it work. as far as making appy state a once in a decade thing, I think it's probably because they just so happen to be the opponent for the opener.

19. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

the coliseum is directly adjacent to campus and most of the parking for season ticket holders and the like is on campus as is much of the tailgating. part of the problem definitely is that getting to downtown la is a [itch bay] during the week, but the student section doesn't fill up till halftime of those games. it's just stupid of them to not cancel classes for one day a year.

20. RockyHill

I know it's just App St. but Neyland should be electric. Theoretically this is the best team we've had in a really long time.