Coach Don Meyer Gone

Discussion in 'Sports' started by bigpapavol, May 18, 2014.

1. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

The greatest coach I've personally ever been around. Great man in nearly every way. Genuinely a Titan in my mind.

Started recruiting me as a jr high kid and kept on even after I moved away. Maybe it's the idol worship of a kid, but I don't think so. He was an unbelievable teacher, disciplinarian, winner, father figure, battler among more accolades than I have to give.

RIP Coach.

2. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

Sorry to hear this bpv. It's not idol worship at all. It's a deep respect for a man that has had a tremendous impact on your life. Those folks are few and far between.

3. NYY

NYY Super Moderator

Was a tremendous man. Not just coach. Had strength that many just talk about in passing and in hopes. Rip coach.

4. hatvol96

hatvol96 Well-Known Member

As fine a coach as there has ever been. Period.

5. Joseph Brant

Joseph Brant Airbrush Aficionado

Hate to say I'm not familiar with the gentleman, sounds like it's my loss. RIP.

6. justingroves

justingroves supermod

My father in law played for him. His only complaint was not being able to play baseball too

7. zehr27

zehr27 8th's VIP

Great person. RIP.

8. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

When RMK says he's the best basketball mind he's ever met, that's enough for me.

Watched his teams play Union in Jackson a couple of times when I was younger. Had no idea why my dad has interest in going to those random games at the time, but when I got older, I understood completely.

Sad, sad loss for basketball.

9. IP

IP Super Moderator

Sorry for the loss, sounds like he touched a lot of lives and made this world a better place.

10. JZ1124

JZ1124 Active Member

He honestly might be the greatest coach of all time.

11. hohenfelsvol

hohenfelsvol Beer run

Just read his story. Sorry to hear the sad news.