College Football 2020

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by kptvol, Apr 26, 2020.

1. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

So what's the numerical point we should be concerned.

132K is too high.

26K seems acceptable.

What's the point where we go from normal operating society to stop everything.

Memtownvol and Tar Volon like this.
  2. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

Yes it’s comparable.

Basketball aids in the spread of a deadly virus every year.

20,-80,000 die a year from the flu.

How many deaths is acceptable till you start feeling guilty about playing and enjoying sports

3. Tar Volon

Tar Volon Me Blog @RockyTopTalk.com

Fatalities have already dropped off like crazy—last I saw our nationwide mortality rate was close to normal.

that said, I’m significantly more pessimistic than I was a few weeks ago because of the new cases that have been flooding in in Florida, Texas, and Arizona. That spike hasn’t touched the death rate yet, but there have been reports of hospitals feeling the strain, and I’m concerned that it was only a matter of time.

although probably the thing that has me most pessimistic is realizing that the start of school in some places is only a month away and it doesn’t look like the country is anywhere close to having this thing beat (at least by any standard other than fatality rate). Initially, I was expecting 2-3 months and then back to normal, with the possibility of another wave in the fall. We’re at 3.5 months and still going.

4. cpninja

cpninja Member

when we get a virus doing 6 figure deaths in 4 months im ok with hitting pause on lots of stuff. if thats the flu im ok shutting it down too

VolDad and CardinalVol like this.
  5. CardinalVol

My general take right now is that younger (by that I mean 40s and under) have looked at numbers, realized that the risks of them or their kids being severely affected by this are pretty low, and have gone on with life knowing there's a chance they can get it, but will likely not mean hospital time or death. By the same token, the people that know they are likely at a higher risk to have complications if they do get it are being more cautious.

I still think while there is solid reasons to be concerned and cautious, there is still lot of of fear more of the name that the virus itself.

6. CardinalVol

Now, all this said, there a few folks, who if they or their family gets deathly sick from this, will make me laugh given their stupidity and dickishness towards it.

7. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Thank you

8. VOLinDAWGland

VOLinDAWGland Contributor

Assuming those death numbers are true. Big assumption.

9. VOLinDAWGland

VOLinDAWGland Contributor

Under 60 assuming good health. But that's a big assumption with the general unhealthy lifestyle of many. I'm healthy, not worried about, but respect those who are or might be at risk. Just keep the Karen's outta my face.

10. IP

IP Super Moderator

Just want to point out that the 26k number represents 12 months without stopping anything, while 132k represents 5 months (generously, probably less), with slowing down some places and stopping a few places for 4-10 weeks. If it is still in that ball park by next February, cool, but it might not be.

11. IP

IP Super Moderator

Pessimistically, we may need a vaccine to get back to normal. And some speculate that mask stuff could be around for a couple of years beyond that too.

12. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

But 26k is at the low end plus we have vaccines and proven treatments for the flu and is still extremely costly to society

13. Tar Volon

The 132k number also just represents what has been put on death certificates. The all-cause mortality spikes during the last few months looks like about 200k nationwide (compared to the average for this time of year)

IP likes this.
  14. IP

IP Super Moderator

Do you think the cost of annual flu is comparable to this inaugural COVID-19 year? I don't. It has to be multiples of the cost of flu, by any measure. Granted surely that would trend down going forward as we get better treatments, vaccines, etc.

15. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

Yeah it’s way high right now due to the national shutdown.

Should have been way more regional/ county level and rolling.

The virus is too wide spread now so the infected number isn’t going to change much now just with the timeline and which population segments get hit hard.

Hopefully we come up with an effective vaccine but I doubt that will happen

16. 10SEvols

10SEvols Member

SEC will wait on the B10 to shut down and then follow suit. I'm calling MI to be the first domino to fall, even though the state has currently low numbers. RIP 2020 CFB.

17. InVolNerable

InVolNerable Fark Master Flex

Yep or a school like Duke, who don't really lose much by cancelling their season, but they get to point to being the first to take the precautions.

18. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

I don’t see how high schools potentially play and colleges don’t.

19. IP

IP Super Moderator

Part of me thinks college still plays.

20. Tar Volon

I’m fairly certain—my question is whether the football players report to campus when no one else is there (kinda like pro sports are doing with the bubbles) or whether they shift the schedule to the spring