Color me excited for this season...

Discussion in 'Keith Hatfield Memorial Vols Hoops' started by lylsmorr, Oct 17, 2012.

1. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

thanks to this tidbit from Rob Lewis

2. TennTradition

TennTradition Super Moderator

Ahhhhhhh..........

3. bostonvol

bostonvol Chieftain

For those of you who follow the program closer than I do, what are the realistic expectations for this season?

4. Tar Volon

Tar Volon Me Blog @RockyTopTalk.com

Preseason projections from national media tend to have us making the tournament around a 7-9 seed. I'm hoping for something closer to a 5, but that's optimism. I don't think it's wild homer optimism, but it's definitely optimism.

5. hallowed_hill

hallowed_hill Active Member

We played like a 4-5 for the most part once january hit. I have high expectations for this season. I expect to compete for the sec. May not win it, but I think we can be in the hunt. We still have flaws. I suspect we'll keep making strides with ball handling but will be merely an average shooting team.

6. docholiday

docholiday Contributor

Unlike in football it is called developing players. Team team will compete for the SEC.

7. IP

IP Super Moderator

The most interesting aspect of this team is how it matches up to other good teams. If we make the field with a single digit seed, our style of play will make us a very tough out.

This style is the opposite of the early Pearl teams, and thus we do not share that weakness of "going cold."

8. hallowed_hill

hallowed_hill Active Member

I still think going cold will be an issue and that this will be a streaky shooting team. A big difference, though, is that this team will be prepared to grind night in and night out. You can overcome bad shooting nights that way. Also doesnt hurt to have a front line as good as ours.

9. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

"Shooting" won't matter if they play through the post a lot. IMO

10. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

Good teams will make it a lot tougher to go through the post though.

11. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

"Tennessee practices are not for the meek. Senior walk-on Rob Murphy broke his nose during practice wednesday and had surgery Thursday." - Brendan Quinn

Come on, Friday.

12. JohnnyQuickkick

guys don't overlook Victory. Could be a trap game.

13. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

This may be the worst team to ever set foot on the floor of tba. It'll be a toss up with them and lemoyne Owen.

Currently not affiliated with any collegiate athletic organization.

14. JohnnyQuickkick

See? You're falling right into it.

15. hatvol96

hatvol96 Well-Known Member

When I have to hit up Google because I know absolutely nothing about a college basketball team, I think that qualifies them to be called obscure.

16. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

My God, you're right.

17. hatvol96

hatvol96 Well-Known Member

UT played a team from somewhere in Eastern Europe when KO was the coach that I'm thoroughly convinced my college intramural team could have played even.

18. IP

IP Super Moderator

Any word on recovery timetables for Maymon?

19. GoVols2003

GoVols2003 Contributor

Victory is coached by Scott Robinson, who was a student manager under Calipari at Memphis and I believe he may have spent a final year under Pastner. He is a good dude and prior to the Victory gig, he did a lot of stuff with M33M, the team that Nichols plays for. I believe he is originally from the Ohio region.

The school was formerly Crichton College. I believe they dropped sports for a year or 2 several years back, but they then became Victory Univ. and revived the Basketball program. Robert O'Kelley was an assistant a while back. I think Thaddeus Young is a student assistant there now. They have traditionally been a haven for local kids that go off to big school and either do not live up to their billing or get in trouble. That or they will cherry pick a few kids from here and there that have grade problems. Not sure about the current team, but it would not surprise me if they have 1 or 2 high caliber athletes that could not make it at a bigger school.

20. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

Thaddeus isn't with the Sixers any more?