Compare & Contrast: Cuonzo v. Dooley

Discussion in 'Keith Hatfield Memorial Vols Hoops' started by Tenacious D, Feb 14, 2012.

1. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

I've been thinking about this for several weeks. and thought that some may have (far) better observations of this comparison than I have included, below:

1. Looks
    Both look the part, take care of themselves, etc.

2. Public Speaking
    Dooley would be widely considered to be the more natural, practiced and well-polished speaker of the two, and it might not even be close in a vote. And I couldn't necessarily disagree with that.....so why is it that I actually like / appreciate Cuonzo's style / delivery / speech more than Dooley's? Perhaps its not the delivery, but the substance which it represents.

3. Excuses (real or imagined)
    Dooley not only seems to live off of them (youth, injuries, experience, improper showering habits), but I sometimes get the sense that half of what he says is setting me up for the next one. Conversely, and correct me if I am wrong, but I have yet to hear Cuonzo make a single excuse, despite whatever situation or circumstance. In fact, I have heard /members of the local media try to give him ready-made excuses, both in advance and afterward of some event, and he not only refuses to accept them, but in many cases, he even goes so far as to refute them, altogether.

4. Speaking of players in the media:
    Cuonzo was recently asked about Golden's production, following his being benched for the first time versus GA, something along the lines of Cuonzo not being happy with his defensive intensity. Rather than to allow Golden to be singled out like that, but not wanting to undermine his own standard, Martin remarked (from memory), "Well, it's not just about Trae, but for everyone on the team - we expect you to take a lot of pride, and on both ends of the court." So, he didn't waver as to his reasons for benching him, but neither did he throw him under the bus, as Dooley has done in the past.

5. Truthful / Forthright
    I think most of what Dooley says is what he thinks I want or need to hear, or failing that, simply what he wants us to know (often that's even spun). I feel like Cuonzo is shooting straight. I could be wrong about both, or one or the other, but I just tend to take things that Cuonzo says at face value, and for some reason, naturally find them more believable.

6. Players Buying In
    My impression is that Dooley either attempts to attain it through threats or begging, neither of which are favorable options, really. Conversely, I think that Cuonzo believes that it's a foregone conclusion that you have "bought in". I recently heard him asked about this subject, of players "buying in" to his ways / system - he remarked that he didn't think that it was that important, that the team wasn't somehow giving less effort before, and had now increased, after having "bought in". He simply said that no player refuses to grab a rebound or misses a shot because they haven't decided if they have "bought in" to the coach or not....and he concluded by saying this (as close to verbatim as I recall it), "I don't worry about my players "buying in" - that's something they have to decide to do, themselves. And if they don't, I'll decide it for them." (read: GTFO).

I'm certain that there are more......name'em (and, no, this isn't just an exercise to shit on Dooley's head and praise Cuonzo's efforts)
    ends of the court, equally. So, he said it, but without saying it.

Dooley seems to go out of his way to not only single out players in the , criticise, belittle and bemean

Last edited: Feb 14, 2012
  2. fl0at_

fl0at_ Humorless, asinine, joyless pr*ck

Racist. Just because Cuonzo is black doesn't mean he "looks the part" for basketball.

3. volfanjo

volfanjo Chieftain

I think it is not an overstatement to say that Cuonzo has done almost everything right since he has gotten here, with the exception being pulling the trigger too soon on some recruits.

4. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

Ok, i'll point out the obvious.

Martin wins some games he isn't supposed to. Dooley doesn't.

5. Tenacious D

Ordinarily, I could agree. However, the point is lost on the fact that I neither state nor implied that Dooley would not be an in/adequate jockey.

6. fl0at_

fl0at_ Humorless, asinine, joyless pr*ck

He did, this season, beat a dead horse. Comparisons could be made.

7. zehr27

zehr27 8th's VIP

One guy got where he is at with hard work, one guy has a last name.

8. Tenacious D

Touché. Nolle prosqui.

9. Tenacious D

I find it hard to believe that Steve Martin has much pull on The Hill.

10. Beechervol

Beechervol Super Moderator

I like Martin's overall approach. His remarks are normally short and to the point. I don't mind Dooley's humor, it has its spots where its funny and fresh. Some have criticized Dooley for not speaking enough, where I feel he's better off speaking less.

11. homefry20

homefry20 New Member

I now think Martin was the perfect hire after Pearl. He is allowing the media to calm down and move on. He beats some teams he shouldnt to keep the excitement around. HE has the respect of the team which is something some coaches never get.

Even if he never turns into a great success it was still the right hire considering the situation he took over.

12. Tenacious D

What's your overall prediction on Martin, [MENTION=117]homefry20[/MENTION]?

What's the ceiling you perceive for him, how do you think he stays at UT, and how do you think it's most likely to end (i.e. he gets a better gig, is fired, etc.)?

How skilled does he appear to be, from an X and O standpoint, recruiting and player development - and how does he stack up to Pearl and Cal in each? I'm asking for a point of reference to compare him to those known others - so shoot it straight, without fear of offense.

Sorry for the barrage of questions, but I'm curious to hear from an outsider (and who knows their shit) on their take thus far, albeit in his brief time.

And I know less about basketball than [MENTION=152]Jewbaccah[/MENTION] knows about pleasing a woman (read: damned little, if anything) - I just like the way he goes about his business and handles himself, but have no real idea or understanding as to what's reasonable to expect from him.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2012
  13. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

i laughed, hard. well done there Tenny D.

14. homefry20

homefry20 New Member

I think his job status is fine. He's doing very well with game coaching and adjustments. It's not his fault that he has a shitty hand to play. Player development is going to be determined by the unheralded players that can become stars.

I don't know if you're being sarcastic or not, nor do I care. I think he's done a fine job this season and wish he was our coach.

Oh, as for Dooley, that was a last minute find a warm body hire. Dude was 12-12 in the WAC. Even Memphis would be skeptical of his resume.

15. Tenacious D

There was not an ounce of sarcasm in those questions, I can assure you that they were 100% sincere, as I was interested to hear an outsider (read: most likely objective) perspective.

And I know nothing about bball, whatsoever. I just like the dude, but have no real standard by which to measure (or adjust) my expectations.

Hat can attest to my aggravating him with similiar questions, and as to my abstract ignorance or the game, in general. In fact, I mentioned you in this, specifically to ensure that it neither went unnoticed nor unanswered.

My suspicion of Dooley's ineptness is well-chronicled and easily verified.

16. homefry20

homefry20 New Member

I'm on my phone right now. I'll give you a better opinion when I'm at work. Problem is that college baseball has started for me and I have games this week. I'll tag you when I get a chance to write it.