Could there be a worse time for a bye week?

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by tvolsfan, Sep 20, 2011.

1. tvolsfan

tvolsfan Chieftain

1. We're forced to dwell on the Florida loss for an extra week.
    2. The game we're looking forward to is Buffalo. Not really sure the bye week does us any good if the Buffalo game is what follows.
    3. Normally the bye week is before Bama, but now we get LSU and Bama back to back.
    4. We're going through the roughest part of the schedule with no break.
    5. I'm bored at work and I don't have a good UT game to look forward to. Need to start threads like these to keep me entertained.

But seriously, how did this happen? Is it because Bama complained about all their opponents having bye weeks before playing them?

2. justingroves

justingroves supermod

I think it helps.

You have two weeks to get ready for life after Hunter. Zach, Arnett, Dallas and Milton all get two weeks to get used to playing in Hunter's spot.

The OL gets more work to fix whatever is wrong. Lane and Smith get more carries with the first team too.

3. cotton

cotton Stand-up Philosopher

I agree. We have a week to get ready, then a scrimmage against JV to polish before we start playing football again. Plenty of corrections to make after Florida. I think this works out about as well as it possibly could have.

4. justingroves

justingroves supermod

You can use Buffalo as a scrimmage to try stuff out too.

5. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Also, Devrin Young gets another week to get healthy. I don't know if he'll amount to anything at Tennessee but he's worth throwing out there. Buffalo is a good time to do it.

6. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

All things considered this year, I can't think of a better time for it to come. Nor can I think of a better opponent to start out against.

7. tidwell

tidwell Chieftain

We should be pretty well conditioned to dwelling on a loss to Florida by now, off week or not.

8. IP

IP Super Moderator

It may be hard on the fans, but given the injury and the problems we've been having it is as good a time as any.

9. tvolsfan

tvolsfan Chieftain

I guess I'm in the minority here. I'd rather our bye week come between Georgia and LSU or LSU and Bama, though.

10. chavisut

chavisut Dan Mullen Fan Club President

As a fan, it sucks. I think it's good for the team.

11. IP

IP Super Moderator

Maybe I would too. But the original post said "could there be a worse time." And the answer is yes.

12. Smowkee

Smowkee New Member

I don't know. Bye weeks before big games never seem to help. Given the situation with Hunter and all of the ugly things exposed in the Florida game, it seems like a good time to regroup.

13. tvolsfan

tvolsfan Chieftain

I really don't feel like we need two weeks to focus on the run game for Buffalo. Even with the work we have to do, Buffalo seems like a bye week itself.

14. Beechervol

Beechervol Super Moderator

This.

We need a mini camp before Oct.

15. hallowed_hill

hallowed_hill Active Member

Sucks for the fans, but I agree with the sentiment that this is the best time for a bye week. It's essentially three weeks of practice for UGA and beyond, with a scrimmage in the middle. Dooley has alluded to the offense needing an overhaul post-Hunter, and this is the best possible scenario. Running game obviously needs serious work, but I think it will be even more important for Arnett/Dallas. Their role will clearly be expanded the remainder of the season, and I'd rather it happen now than in the middle of our October gauntlet.

16. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

Tough spot for the bye. There might be 14k at the Buffalo game.