Dale Earnhardt Jr.

Discussion in 'Sports' started by MaconVol, Jan 30, 2012.

1. Beechervol

Beechervol Super Moderator

Since dominating the plate races (while at DEI) it doesn't seem like he has been near as good over the last few years at Dega or Daytona.

Last night was something to build on coming off a solid finish last year. He does have to run better at the other tracks to be a real threat. Maybe its his time.

2. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

A quick question for the NASCAR aficionados on here:

While much was made of Hendrick's shuffling cars in the garage, and putting the 88 with the 48, how much solid information / strategies are they realistically sharing between the two teams, if any at all?

I ask out of basic curiosity, but also in wondering about the pre-race inspection which the 48 (glaringly) failed...but no other Hendricks teammate did the same, including the 88.

Surely Knause didn't just do that to screw with NASCAR, but thought that he'd really found an area not covered by the rules, and which he could exploit. If so, why didn't the 88 attempt the same?

Is it more likely that the 48 offered the information and the Letarte declined, or that the 48 just never shared their information with him. Overall, I struggle to see where the line is drawn between "teammates" (working for the same owner) and individual teams / competitors.

3. rbroyles

rbroyles Chieftain

You bring up a good point, and a point of contention long debated - how equal is equal? For years, it was widely thought the 24 team got "more equal" equipment than the other two Hendrick teams. The results certainly would make a person think that way, but then along came Johnson/Knauss and the 48 team excelled which to me dispelled some of that thought. Gordon/Evernham was a hell of a combination, and now the 48 combo has filled that role. I believe the sharing of information is not equal, and the C pillar modification gives credence to that opinion. It could be that the other teams were aware, but chose not to risk getting caught, or that Hendrick didn't want them to try it in case of disclosure, or he wanted to be sure it was an improvement. I would think they would have tested in the wind tunnel to rule out that question. I think your premiss is more likely correct, if I interpret your post correctly, in that the 48 team was keeping the mod to themselves.

4. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

Outside of strictly towing the company line, or perhaps out of some allegiance to Letarte (sp?) - I can't think of a single reason that Knaus would share anything with 88, or would even be accepting of his cohabitation of the garage. Why would he? Here he's won 5 in a row and along comes Junior - who by most standards hasn't done anything - and suddenly he grabs all of the attention and is the "focus" of the organization, instead. Jr couldn't be anything more than a distraction, could he?

And as to the 24 got the best stuff point, i think thats spot on. The only difference between the 48 and those previous cars / drivers is that Gordon owns a piece of the 48. When you consider that, it's easier to understand why he may have loosened his grip on things, but only in that direction, if I were guessing.

5. rbroyles

rbroyles Chieftain

Gordon was given a part ownership by Hendrick, and I have heard Gordon downplay the significance of it making me wonder if Gordon has much if any say in how things are done.

6. Beechervol

Beechervol Super Moderator

It like a fine BBQ sauce.

They may share the ingredient list, but not the proper mixing rates.

7. Volnbama

Volnbama Contributor

Those DEI cars were unbelievably good.

8. tidwell

tidwell Chieftain

Michael [dadgum] Waltrip won four races in those DEI plate cars in those years. Michael Waltrip.

Also, Jr. will finish 23rd today, and we can then dismiss the notion that the strong Daytona performance meant anything other than he was just lucky to not be in one of the dozen wrecks.

9. MaconVol

MaconVol Chieftain

14th, but for what its worth, I did not think he raced a good race last week. Sometimes I question Letarte's pitting strategy.

10. MaconVol

MaconVol Chieftain

Anybody else kind of got that feeling Jr wins today?

11. 615 Vol

615 Vol Chieftain

I don't think the teams share much information and I think the shuffle was more about putting the right personalities together. Moving Latarte to Jr. made sense because Steve is laid back and Jr. can be a [penis] on the radio, he helps keep Jr. under control. No way Knaus and Jimmie would split because it's working too well. Gordon got Alan Gustafson who is more technical which goes well with a mature driver like Jeff and Martin got Lance McGrew at the time because Mark was on his way out and Lance wasn't a permanent solution. He is now working with Bill Elliott's son, Chase, who is a developmental driver for Hendrick. I think the team aspect is more about working out of the same shop, using the same parts and working together, at times, on the track. If Chad Knaus finds something he wouldn't share it with anyone if he thought it gave the 48 an advantage, same with the other teams.

12. 615 Vol

615 Vol Chieftain

He look to be fast but it's going to be hard with Kyle Busch starting on the front row today. I have a feeling he will be tough to beat.

13. Snakeonia

Snakeonia Active Member

doesn't kyle have to go to the back of the field because of going to a back up car?

14. 615 Vol

615 Vol Chieftain

Oh, I didn't hear, I know that Jimmie is going to the back.

15. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

no.

16. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

they probably don't share as much as they help point each other in the right direction.