[ddiapos]'s contribution to Tennessee football

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by justingroves, Oct 15, 2012.

1. justingroves

justingroves supermod

[ddiapos] may be remembered as the football coach that got Tennessee's Athletic Department to spend money on a coach.

For far too long, the BOT thought coaching Tennessee was a gift that coaches should beg for. They were spoiled by Majors wanting to come home and Fulmer coveting this job. What they didn't realize is that Fulmer really didn't employ any future head coaching types with the exception of Cutcliffe.

It is what it is now. Coaches want multiple zeroes on contracts, nice facilities and control. They do not care what state they are in or what school gives it to them. Meyer, Saban, Miles, Stoops and Spurrier drive this point home.

It's sad that it took a woefully unprepared head coach for them to see the light. However, if Tennessee goes out and gets their guy, it will be worth it.

So, [ddiapos] won't go down as a program builder or the guy that salvaged a recruiting class. He'll go down as a hire that's so terrible, he woke up the sleeping giant that is Tennessee.

I can live with that.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2012
    JayVols likes this.
  2. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

Some folks might disagree but it's not exactly a barren wasteland any more talent-wise either.

3. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

Great post groves. I couldn't agree more.

4. justingroves

justingroves supermod

It's not. Jacques came on last game because he had no responsibility other than getting to the QB. Coleman actually improved and the OL is looking pretty damn good. Now, how much depth is there? Not a whole lot at any position.

5. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

The OL will have a whopping one year with the next guy. RB is terrible and the only productive guy has one year left. 2 of the top 3 WRs are gone, maybe all 3. Our DL is entirely JUCO and won't be around much longer. Bray is likely gone. Our best DB is gone. I'm pretty worried about the depth. We have a ton of guys that don't add much.

6. JT5

JT5 Super Moderator

Depth is a problem, but we'll load up with talent in a hurry. That is, if we land Gruden. Things will improve quickly.

7. hohenfelsvol

hohenfelsvol Beer run

Dead on

8. tvolsfan

tvolsfan Chieftain

Agreed, although that's a big "if," in my opinion.

9. IP

IP Super Moderator

I hope the giant wakes up. So tired.

10. Gator H8R

Gator H8R Member

Spot on JG. Now lets all just hope this is what happens.

11. rbroyles

rbroyles Chieftain

I still have this horrible knot in my gut that the mindset has become "who would want to step into such a bad situation; fourth coach in only six years, lack of depth, toughest conference in NCAA, disgruntled fanbase, and general malaise of major athletic sports." This could result in another disastrous choice, ie Tuberville or equivalent. Gruden would overcome all this, but are they willing and able to land him?

12. IP

IP Super Moderator

I would rather pick up a guy like Strong than Tubberville.

13. O+W=H.

O+W=H. New Member

I was sure the shoe drying room was the answer

14. JZ1124

JZ1124 Active Member

Attention to detail!