Defensive Alignments

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by Tenacious D, Sep 1, 2019.

1. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

Can someone who understands defensive alignments kindly give me a quick primer on what’s wrong with each of these pictures?

Also, and before anyone starts using words like “1-tech” or “zone zippity floppy tapper”, just know that I won’t have the first clue as to what that means.

OneForVol likes this.
  2. MaconVol

MaconVol Chieftain

Question is why were they playing nickel when GA State had 8 in the box?

3. Lexvol

Lexvol Super Moderator

Lol. Apparently we were terrified of their QBs uncle Rico arm. My only guess is that we were trying to protect our young LBs. I’ve read there was more than one instance where we only had 10 guys on the field.

Ssmiff and justingroves like this.
  4. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

This is where it becomes a train wreck, if Pruitt doesn’t own this loss in the locker room.

You can’t put the guys in those kind of positions and then start taking jobs when the coaches failed to put them in the position to be successful.

Yesterday already had the look of the defense acting like they didn’t believe in their scheme or coach.

5. 2Maggitt2Quit

2Maggitt2Quit Chieftain

I'm not an expert by any stretch, but I think this mainly concerns numbers. We were doomed to fail before the ball was snapped.

Take the 1st picture. If the QB keeps and runs right, they have 6 potential blockers (starting with the center going right and including the RB), and we have 5 potential defenders (including the CB creeping towards the box). A running QB puts a stress on the numbers, and we couldn't put our DEs on the correct side of the field all game.

I think the rest of the pictures just show discrepancy with guys in the box. Because we're playing two-high safeties and putting an extra CB on the field, we couldn't counter their run game with a dual-threat QB and a tight-end.

Tenacious D likes this.
  6. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

QB power, basically running single wing. Would have killed us all night.

That’s not on the players. You’re asking your defense to win a plus 2 in the box, which is crazy.

7. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

V, late in the game it looked like we went 4-4-3 and looked like it would have been a good defense vs their offense.

8. VolDad

VolDad Super Moderator

I have never in my life seen anything like this...

utvol0427 likes this.
  9. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

I personally would have ran more zone.

I want 22 eyes on the QB when it’s the offenses best athlete.

Fronts isn’t defense so I can’t say a 4-4 would be the best way to play it because there’s a lot of different ways to play a 4-4.

Ssmiff likes this.
  10. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

Where tf are our safeties in that pic?

11. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

Looks to be cover 1. He’s playing deep middle

12. utvol0427

utvol0427 Chieftain

The transfer portal, if they're smart.

lumberjack4, kmf600, MaconVol and 3 others like this.
  13. VolDad

VolDad Super Moderator

There are 8 in the pick. Assuming one out of the picture playing deep we are still missing 2.

14. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

Offense is in trips 3x1. Field corner on the other WR with safety deep

15. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

I think there’s a good chance we’re playing with 10 on the field

16. VolDad

VolDad Super Moderator

Well I guess that is a slight improvement over 13.