Depth Chart Prediction

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by govols182, Apr 12, 2012.

1. govols182

govols182 Honorary Mod

I'm bored, here is what I think. Post your thoughts.

QB: Bray; Worley; Peterman
    RB: Lane/Neal; Young; Smith
    WR: Hunter; Z Rogers
    WR: D Rogers; Dallas
    WR: Patterson; Croom/Howard/Blanc
    TE: Rivera; Clear; Downs
    OT: Richardson; Thomas
    OG: Thomas; Jackson
    OC: Bullard; Crowder
    OG: Fulton; Stone
    OT: James; Posey

DE: Sentimore; Fowlkes
    NT: McCullers; Couch; Carson/Hood
    DE: Walls; Saulsberry/Taylor
    OLB: Smith; Bohannon
    ILB: Johnson; Fugate/Propst
    ILB: Lathers; Fugate/Propst
    OLB: Maggitt; Brewer; Crump
    CB: Waggner; Teague; Gordon
    CB: Lanier; Coleman; Thomas
    S: Moore; Wilks
    S: Randolph; Orta

Looks like a solid 1st string IMO. 2nd string gets a little weak in some spots though.

2. Tar Volon

Tar Volon Me Blog @RockyTopTalk.com

Can't disagree with much of that. I think when McCullers shows up, Couch might get some work backing up both the end and nose. Hopefully O'Brien will pass Carson and Hood in short order for third string inside as well. I also wouldn't be surprised to see Brewer break into the starting lineup somewhere, depending on his recovery. And I'd expect Gordon to be the nickel again.

3. zehr27

zehr27 8th's VIP

McNeil will be in the 2 deep at safety. Bonner will get a look at nickel as well.

4. TennTradition

TennTradition Super Moderator

Has Maggitt been moved back to OLB? It sounded like it was fairly likely that he would be playing ILB with Johnson...

5. govols182

govols182 Honorary Mod

He might be inside. He just seemed light for mike.

6. chavisut

chavisut Dan Mullen Fan Club President

He is inside.

Sapp, Williams, and King(if healthy) should all see PT at LB.
    Guys like O'Brien and McNeil will play.

Couch and Taylor might end up playing inside and outside.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2012
  7. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

I thought Taylor was rather light and wouldn't be ready to go as a true freshman. No?

8. chavisut

Trent Taylor is now approaching 300. I think around 290 right now. He's practiced at nose some this spring.

9. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Well dayum. I remember the talk during his recruitment was that he was light for his frame.

10. chavisut

You can probably find a couple pics on utsports. He looks the part for sure.

11. Tar Volon

I remember that too. Sounds like he's bulked up in a hurry. Hope it's good weight. Either way, if McCullers is serviceable at all, I'd be very surprised not to see both Couch and Taylor getting time at end

12. MaconVol

MaconVol Chieftain

I think we are strong at the 2 deep everywhere except linebacker. I shudder at the thought of Propst, and Fugate playing meaningful snaps.

13. Tar Volon

I might add running back and wide receiver to that list, but the thin positions are finally in the minority. Really hope Fugate can make a smooth transition, because he has a lot more upside than Propst.

14. chavisut

I don't think either are even in the two deep. I've seen King and Dapper mentioned more than both.

15. IP

IP Super Moderator

With the info from Cardinal's friends that we're pretty much a spread team now, does the running back position really worry anyone though? It seems like in a spread, as long as you have a RB who can block and run the occasional draw through pass coverage you are golden. I mean, durability doesn't matter as much. Stamina isn't as much of a factor. Vision when the D is playing pass seems like less of a need.

Maybe we've schemed around any weakness at RB.

16. Tar Volon

Well, if we scheme around running back, amend the worry to WR. We have a ton of talent on the first team, and then we have freshmen and Zach Rogers. Again.

17. IP

IP Super Moderator

Ya, I don't feel super good about our WR's. Some talent mixed with injuries and focus issues. Some unknowns.

18. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Yeah, it is wild how our amazingly potent offense is basically dangling by a thread over a twenty foot high pile of manure.

19. chavisut

Rivera is a solid receiver that nobody really mentions. Hopefully Patterson lives up to the hype.

20. IP

IP Super Moderator

Rivera's sister is pretty hot. No one ever mentions that.

Hope she isn't jail bait.