Despite all the good news, this fact depresses me

Discussion in 'Recruiting' started by Snakes on a Wii, Feb 1, 2013.

1. Our class is 11th in the SEC according to rivals. Behind Vandy.

Someone please talk me out of feeling like a loser. I don't follow recruiting nearly as much as posters here, but how do you deal with this fact?

2. Dick Huffman

Dick Huffman Guest

We have one less 4-star than OU. Vandy is ranked higher because of commit amount.

3. govols182

govols182 Honorary Mod

Also, that is current ranking. That is sure to change after signing day.

4. VOLinDAWGland

VOLinDAWGland Contributor

We are far from done

5. 615 Vol

615 Vol Chieftain

Keep in mind Vandy is coming off 9 wins (including bowl win), their staff is returning and have job security, have built relationships and they have key players leaving so they can also sell playing time. The conditions will never be better for a Vandy team recruiting. Meanwhile, Tennessee comes off another losing season and has a new staff for the fourth time since the end of 2008. With all that being said, Tennessee is only behind Vandy because they have more recruits and they won't stay ahead of UT much longer, as soon as another player or two commits to Tennessee, they'll pass Vandy.

So, basically in Vandy's best year going against UT in one of their worst years, they'll still look up to the Vols in recruiting rankings on signing day.

6. smokysbark

smokysbark Chieftain

Wednesday can't come soon enough. I want to open this damn Christmas present right now! It will be exciting see us jump into the top 15 if we somehow land Bell, Lawson, Ford, and possibly even Levenberry.

Side note: Looks like LSU is rolling out the cash to try and beat Ole Miss for Nkemdiche. He seems to be giving them a serious look since they lost so many starters to the draft.

7. XXROCKYTOPXX

XXROCKYTOPXX Chieftain

As others have said that's because of quantity rather than quality. We'll be fine...

8. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Lawson is the one I'm most worried about on that list

9. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

Need to send some hostesses this weekend to offset anything they throw at him IMO.

10. TDVol1989

TDVol1989 Always Be Menstruating

Besides the earlier comments, consider this. Despite having even or better odds on North, CBJ (and Jay) closed that deal. I don't believe Dooley would have. I think we get Bell. Did you read his comments when Dooley left? It was like Dooley wanted to screw that up. UT fan or not, for Vonn to turn down 2 national championship coaches for our new coach is a big deal. And Butch is swinging hard for those good players Dooley gave up on. To be in the conversation, and pretty seriously, for guys like Lawson, Levenberry, and Ford when starting from the back of the pack is a great sign. I would like all of these guys but Vonn plus either one of those 2 defensive guys and we add some difference makers to the team.

If Butch can get to a bowl and win next year, the 2014 class will be much better.

11. Nucvol

Nucvol Member

That makes me feel better. I believe we get Bell also. Plus, lots of chatter about signing day surprises from CBJ. Hope they are all good surprises.

12. govols182

govols182 Honorary Mod

I already have a boner thinking about it. But not a San style recruiting boner.

13. 10SEvols

10SEvols Member

Were about where our record in the SEC is unfortunantly. Hopefully times will change.

14. I see what you all mean about quantity vs quality. But my only concern is, we're not the only people who are going to pick up more recruits on signing day. Even if we pass vandy, we're still behind Auburn, who had a much worse season with and has a new staff.

Of course, Auburn pays straight cash, so maybe I shouldn't even be mentioning them.

15. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

So close to jumping Vandy.