Do any of you think you actually think you could do a better job than Dooley?

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by A-Smith, Oct 14, 2012.

1. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

I mean really...

No, seriously, really.

I get asked this on the other, other site sometimes. And recently I have been legitimately wondering whether I could or not. I think it's possible. I think it's possible.

Anyone else here think you could do better? I have never played a down of football, but I do not think I could do less with that much talent. I know that at least one of you guys, OldVol used to play...

Just wondering if anyone else felt like I did about their own coaching prowess in relation to the Dools.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2012
  2. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

Give me 10 years in the business and i have no doubt i could.

3. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

I'd be willing to let Jay, Oldvol, and a few other guys take their chances.

4. Snakeonia

Snakeonia Active Member

if UT would provide the funds in order to get the best coaching staff, I think it's very possible

5. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

No. I don't have the organizational/management type skills. I know a little football, but just wouldn't be my thing.

6. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

I also think it's a pretty weak question. I know next to nothing about cars, but if after my mechanic did some work turning the ignition caused the engine to explode you can bet I'd be displeased. Doesn't mean I know more about cars than him.

7. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

I don't think I'd be able to handle all the responsibilities of his job, but I'd love to break down film and do some play calling!

8. 615 Vol

615 Vol Chieftain

I can count to eleven.

9. TangoUniform

TangoUniform Contributor

615 wins.

10. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

You would run it up the middle every time.

11. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Ask Lyle about how I called for play action in the Florida game down in the redzone... which they did... and scored.

12. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

double post

13. VolDad

VolDad Super Moderator

Hire great coordinators. Accept nothing but excellence.

14. NYY

NYY Super Moderator

I would. First hire is Jay and second is OV. I'd also hire Hat to run the VFL program.

15. InVolNerable

InVolNerable Fark Master Flex

He'd put a kicker at safety.

16. tvolsfan

tvolsfan Chieftain

I couldn't do better, but I could lose all the important games for significantly less money.

17. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Yeah, I would have taken an even million a year with a two million dollar buyout

18. RoadTrip

RoadTrip New Member

Dools played college ball and was around it growing up. Obviously went a different direction with law for a reason. I think he got back in initially because it was easier than the grind of practicing law for the same approximate income. He then parlayed his dad's connections to get in the circle. Where any of us would have trouble is in the hiring of assistant coaches. A lot of us could understand the concepts, schemes, plays, techniques enough to lead/manage equal to or even better than Dools. But our credibility within the coaching fraternity would hurt us. That would take some time to earn.

Mike Leach. No background in it. Decided he wanted to be one. Did what he needed to do and worked into the fraternity. Good or bad he changed some paradigms along the way. Good OP IMO.

19. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Art Briles went from high school coach to Houston to Baylor.

Freeze and Frank Wilson too

20. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Cutcliffe never played college ball either