DT Couch and conditioning

Discussion in 'VOLuminous' started by IP, Aug 8, 2011.

1. IP

IP Super Moderator

I'm a bit perplexed by the new JUCO DT Couch. When I first heard he had come into camp a little out of shape, I thought he must have just arrived. But then I read he has been on campus taking part in voluntary workouts all summer. 8 weeks is a lot of time to build up some stamina in the heat. Could this be a sign of a problem? Or am I over-reacting?

Similarly, Carson also came in famously unconditioned...

2. justingroves

justingroves supermod

They're fat asses that have never been worked the way McKeefery is working them

3. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

I have heard from some of the new guys that McKeefery pretty much makes Wiley's workouts look like pilates.

4. TennTradition

TennTradition Super Moderator

I was concerned when I realized he had been here all summer as well. If he has had all summer and still can't make it at full speed for more than a few snaps - can we really expect him to be ready to go in 3 weeks? The answer is no, IMO. He will be spelling Hood and may be able to gain more playing time later in the season when he is better conditioned and the heat is less of an issue.

5. justingroves

justingroves supermod

If he only gets 15 or 20 snaps a game at DT, Tennessee is still in a whole helluva lot better shape than last year.

6. TennTradition

TennTradition Super Moderator

Definitely. He is going to contribute and that is obviously a plus considering our depth and the talent he brings. I would love for him to be ready to jump in day 1, but it is what it is. You make a good point though - might as well look to the bright side of the situation. I'll take whatever he can give.

7. volfanbill

volfanbill Active Member

I think he'll be fine. Once all the conditioning and constant practices end and it gets down to just one a days with a lot more time off, his body will recuperate and get stronger just by resting. I could see more like 30-40 snaps a game if he shows the potential he's supposed to have.

8. hatvol96

hatvol96 Well-Known Member

Conditioning, or lack thereof, was the main downfall of the Fulmer regime. I would hope this isn't a trend.