DVRed Defense Assessment

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by Tar Volon, Sep 8, 2015.

1. Tar Volon

Tar Volon Me Blog @RockyTopTalk.com

I wasn't able to watch Saturday's game live, so I DVR'd it and watched yesterday already knowing the result. Having seen the box score, I expected to be horrified by the defense. Maybe it's just my expectations going in, but it really wasn't as bad as I feared/everyone seems to be making it out to be.

I am definitely not a football coach, but I'm going to throw out a few observations on the defense, and if y'all could chime in with support or criticism, that'd be great. For reference, here's a video of every defensive play: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jO-FCcFevX4

SECONDARY STUFF

*All the hate raining down on Moseley made me wonder whether people just watched one drive or whether they were confusing Foreman and Moseley. Moseley got beaten deep twice. He wasn't really scorched on either play, but the WR got a step twice, and the QB made a good throw both times, and BGSU had a touchdown. It was a bad sequence for him, but I'm not writing him off on two plays, not after last year. I don't think anybody got behind him the rest of the game, although he did allow some easy completions underneath when we had the 42-27 lead.

*Foreman definitely had a few plays that he played perfectly, but he was beaten deep three times (not including the one where he had good coverage and Johnson just threw the perfect ball), and I seem to recall him getting lost in underneath coverage once or twice too. He also missed a tackle that he should've made. It was a forgettable first start for him, and I'm concerned about our nickel package. He needs to shake off the rust fast or get passed by somebody.

*Abernathy had an up and down game. He also got beaten deep three times, but he had some plays where he was great in coverage. For his first career game, it wasn't a bad performance. He's going to need to grow up before he can be relied on, but he was probably better than Foreman despite two fewer years in the program.

*I'm not sure what the safeties were supposed to be doing, but on the eight times where the corners were beaten deep, I think we had safety help once. Randolph also had a pretty bad missed tackle. I'm not panicking about them yet, because Randolph has been solid in the past, and Kelly didn't play most of the game, but they looked rusty in game one.

*Cam is Cam. Any opponent with only one reliable target should be shut down no problem.

OTHER STUFF

*We were rushing four (or three) almost every play. Super vanilla, and while we weren't living in the backfield, we still got in Johnson's face a few times with four against an experienced (albeit MAC) OL. I'm not concerned about the pass rush at all.

*Jumper's speed is a huge liability in pass coverage (and he made a terrible play on that 4th and 3 run in the first half). If Kirkland is half as smart as they say he is, it won't be long before we get that press conference where Jones says "Colton has been a steady performer for us, but we just can't keep Darrin off the field any longer." (even factoring in Jones' propensity to keep talented youngsters off the field)

*Bowling Green's first touchdown drive looked entirely like lack of preparation on our part. It also looked easily fixable. This drive starts at 1:35 on the video. They had three plays (making up a total of about 50 of their 65 yards) where they had two receivers running at one corner. In all three cases, Moseley took the outside guy and the inside guy was totally in the clear. This is the one where my lack of coaching background is the most glaring, so hopefully one of y'all can help me out here. But to my untrained eyes, it looks like we're supposed to have a linebacker helping him out on the underneath guy. On the first two catches, Reeves-Maybin runs the wrong way and ends up chasing a wide-open man. On the touchdown, Maggitt just loses the receiver. It looks like our LBs just weren't ready to get out in coverage. Am I reading this wrong? It's worth noting that this didn't really happen again the rest of the game, which makes me feel a lot better.

2. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Once Foreman started playing badly on defense, he started half assing on special teams too.

There were two different punts were he just kind of stood around. That pisses me off more than getting burnt.

3. justingroves

justingroves supermod

I agree with most everything Tar.

Justin Martin can take Foreman off the field once he's ready.

4. DC Vol

DC Vol Contributor

My thoughts on the game, after review and some time to cool off a bit:

Tennessee had total control after their first 3 drives and the first 3 plays of their 4th Drive.

In the 4th Drive, Tennessee allowed 2 back-to-back 1st Downs and then buckled down and held them on 3rd and 8. They went for it, got it and were put in good position on our side of the field. They drove for a TD.

In the 5th Drive, Tennessee again held them to a 4th and 3 at the 13. Again they went for it knowing if they failed, Tennessee would have a very short field. That showed me their coach was swinging for the fence in this game and was really going to test Tennessee.

At this point BGU was down by 4 points and was really into the game. While they don't have high levels of talent, I pulled up some key players for their team and they're mostly mid-high 3* guys. They're not awful. This wasn't like losing to Temple or Portland State. They're all upperclassmen and decent athletes but they have a full head of steam and confidence.

You could see UT's young team was a bit flat-footed by this response. McNeil being out and then TKJr needing surgery threw out Berry, who was undoubtedly unprepared, as the starting FS. Martin being out along with Gaulden forced a hodge-podge of CBs filling in and that showed as well. This was exacerbated by Martinez not being out there to make adjustments in technique.

What was glaring to me was our CBs were in press coverage through most of the 1st half (when BGU put up most of their yards). This didn't really change until after Halftime and especially after the weather delay. After that, our CBs were playing 10 yards off their WRs and allowed more of a cushion combined with the DL actually getting some pressure and forcing Johnson to throw early. Make no mistake about it, BGU was swinging for the fences and the statline showed it:

49 attempts for 27 completions and 424 yards. That shows a lot of deep throws that are more spray and pray with a lot of hits. Johnson/WRs played well, I'll give them that, but I do wonder if the extraneous issues behind the game, combined with Tennessee likely just looking to win and give OU no tape, were why.

In the end, they put up 424 yards but... so what? They lost by 29 when the spread was 25. I would have much rather won 39-10 but a win is a win is a win. We got through uninjured and 1-0 which is likely what the staff was intending. We also didn't really have to lean on the pass much either, which is definitely good for this weekend.

5. GahLee

GahLee Director of Conspiracy Theories, 8th Maxim

Their QB threw several legitimately great passes, and Deiter was really good at busting press coverage. I think UT was a little shocked at the talent level and scheme at first. When we quit pressing and playing zero coverage and actually gave them something different their success rate dropped dramatically.

I believe our defense is much better than they showed and we probably aren't going to see a QB drop dimes like that the rest of the year. Baker Mayfield is going to be starring at a nasty pass rush and isn't going to be afforded press/zero coverage and 4 man fronts.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2015
  6. DC Vol

DC Vol Contributor

I mean... our D looked to be in Cover-2 Man most of the game. Correct me if I'm wrong.

That is as basic and vanilla as it gets. Barnett didn't play much and Maggitt was given a chance to mess around at LB (perhaps a wish granted by coaching staff to boost draft stock?) in what was going to be a sure-fire win.

At this point, I am not taking much stock in what was obviously a game that had 2 primary goals:

* Win

* Give OU nothing of value to use in preparation

The entire gameplan offensively and defensively was vanilla. Straight vanilla.

7. DC Vol

DC Vol Contributor

Lastly, Oklahoma will either vindicate me or vilify the staff.

8. Beechervol

Beechervol Super Moderator

That needs to happen yesterday.

9. TDVol1989

TDVol1989 Always Be Menstruating

I figured the excuses and reasoning would come, but not a fan. I am sure the defense will improve, but last Saturday, they sucked. I agree with the assessment that Blowing Green threw some precise passes, but no pass rush and playing Jumper is disturbing. Butch is in year 3 playing a walk-on at MLB. Really?

10. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

If we were in a cover 2 of any kind then the safety play on all those deep balls is inexcusable.

11. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

What safety play

12. DC Vol

DC Vol Contributor

This was before TKJr came in and they were throwing to Evan Berry's side. Remember, about 2 weeks ago he was 3rd String FS. Not excusing things but that is definitely a reason for the huge communication issues.

When TKJr came in, that just about shut their passing game down as he didn't really come in until after the weather delay.

13. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

The first play, watch Jumper. I don't know if they had some film that had a key or not, but he comes screaming inside. If the QB pulls, and tosses it to Jumper's guy, or even runs, it's a big gain.

14. Tar Volon

Tar Volon Me Blog @RockyTopTalk.com

Wow, yeah.

Their QB had some big runs in the third quarter, so I went back to that spot (roughly 10 minute mark) to see if it was the same thing going on, but we're lined up in dime on that drive, with JRM as the only regular LB and Maggitt doing his hybrid thing. But Maggitt, JRM, and Barnett all kept crashing to the RB and letting the QB get outside on that drive.