Eat shit, Kentucky

Discussion in 'Keith Hatfield Memorial Vols Hoops' started by emainvol, Mar 2, 2019.

1. OneForVol

OneForVol Well-Known Member

Hmmm..... that tweet probably should have been worded a little differently.

Ssmiff likes this.
  2. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

The officiating bias stuff is almost unbelievable. I can’t even begin to fathom the mental gymnastics it takes to watch that game, look at that box score, and then try to say UT benefited from an unfair whistle.

3. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Is this your first season watching college basketball?

4. IP

IP Super Moderator

It's meaningless, but check out the bias here: http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/25379665/tennessee-routs-kentucky

Two quadrant 1 wins this week? #6, and UK is still #4. Because, uh, their other losses *since Duke* were close games *except for the one yesterday*. So Tennessee's only regulation loss was to UK, who they just beat by more points, and have fewer losses overall... but are two spots behind the team they just beat by 19? Oh?

justingroves likes this.
  5. RockyHill

RockyHill Loves Auburn more than Tennessee.

There is no reason. The powers at be want blue bloods. That’s it and that’s all.

6. chavisut

chavisut Dan Mullen Fan Club President

It’s BS. We split, have two fewer losses, have the better win, and they have the worst loss.

Dalekanium likes this.
  7. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

I’m referring to UK fans whining on their message boards
    Saw this earlier and wondered if they had just forgotten to rearrange. There’s just no way to defend ranking it this way.

8. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

New rankings dont come out until Monday, right? We will be ahead of kentucky.

9. IP

IP Super Moderator

The one I linked was updated at 12:06 AM and references the game and shows the new records.

10. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

Yeah it’s that writer’s power poll

11. 2Maggitt2Quit

2Maggitt2Quit Chieftain

I need help understanding why Gonzaga's resume warrants a #2 ranking and UT's warrants #6.

12. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Everything is designed around Duke and Gonzaga beat Duke.

Dalekanium and IP like this.
  13. Dalekanium

Dalekanium Chieftain

[uck fay] Duke.

NorrisAlan likes this.
  14. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

15. IP

IP Super Moderator

they talk about quadrant 1 wins for the ACC teams, then put Gonzaga as a 1.

Do a blind comparison between Gonzaga and Houston, you can't justify one being a 1 seed, the other being a 4... without naming Duke specifically.

16. cotton

cotton Stand-up Philosopher

So...if I understand it correctly, 9-4 against "quadrant 1" is a lot better than 7-3 against it, and an overtime loss to a Kansas team ranked #1 with all of it's players is the same as Kentucky getting beaten by 100 by Duke early in the season.
    I'd say it was just some random writer putting that out for ESPN except the people doing the seeding seem to just read that crap and follow it, so it often becomes self-fulfilling.

I think Tennessee might get the nod over Kentucky if we share the SEC regular season title and they do not. I think Tennessee might get the nod over the Duke/Carolina loser because three ACC #1s will feel like a lot to the seeders. And I don't think it makes a lot of difference if you are #1 or #2, all things considered. It'd be nice to play in Nashville.

IP likes this.
  17. IP

IP Super Moderator

I just see a massive amount of inconsistency regarding SOS vs quadrant 1 wins vs overall record. it seems like non quadrant 1 losses are not weighted much.

18. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

Those guys will use any criteria they want to to justify whatever they do. Listen to the tournament committee presser. They’ll say they used one thing to drop one team down a line, and then say that they didn’t take that same thing into account for putting another team on a different line

19. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

Exactly. They use Carolina's slightly better quadrant 1 record to justify them being above Tennessee, but then mention UK's record being even better and then do nothing about it.

And what ultimately gets lost in all of this is the injuries. UK beat a Kansas team missing its star. We lost to them in overtime while he was still there. North Carolina beat a Duke team missing its star, who is the consensus best player in the country. The article talks about Carolina's win over Duke as if there isn't a MASSIVE asterisk by it.

20. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

Also, if you really want to see how small the gap in "quadrant 1" wins is between teams like UT and UNC, UT can move to 9-3 against quadrant 1 opponents if it wins both games this week. If UNC loses to Duke, they will move to 9-5 against quadrant 1 opponents.

So why are we talking about this gap as if its so large? It can literally be closed in the next 6 days.

If we finish out the season at 28-3 with a 9-3 record against quadrant 1 opponents, I don't see what argument anyone will be able to make against us as one of the four best teams in the country.

IP likes this.