eddie george on jalen hurd

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by snoball5278, Mar 18, 2014.

1. Dick Huffman

Dick Huffman Guest

A TE wanting the state's best player to switch to TE? Shenanigans.

2. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

I think TE is the only position Wycheck can remember due to brain damage

3. Dick Huffman

Dick Huffman Guest

Ha!

4. kidbourbon

kidbourbon Well-Known Member

The notion that he's better suited for TE than RB, though, is certainly not absurd.

5. Dick Huffman

Dick Huffman Guest

Because he's 6'3 and not 6'2? Yes sir, that is absurd especially when you consider Wychek has probably never seen him play.

6. justingroves

justingroves supermod

No but the guy has the vision and patience that good running backs have. He's not a rb because he's the best athlete on the team, he's a rb because he has stuff that's not really coachable

7. kidbourbon

Start naming great running backs who are 6'3, and then when you stop at two, consider whether the inch makes a difference. The inch makes a difference. And, yes, that's what she said.

8. kidbourbon

If he isn't the fastest on the team, he's close.

9. Dick Huffman

Dick Huffman Guest

How many TEs in the League are 6'3?

10. IP

IP Super Moderator

I bet we'd have to look far and wide for a recent pro bowl TE less than 6'4. Maybe not. I have a gambling problem.

11. kidbourbon

::cough:: Vernon Davis ::cough cough::

12. kidbourbon

Our own Mychal Rivera -- 6'3 -- had a nice little rookie campaign.

13. kidbourbon

'
    Average height of NFL TE: 6'4*
    Average height of NFL RB: 5'10*

Difference in height between Hurd and the average NFL TE: 1 inch
    Difference in height between Hurd and the average NFL RB: 5 inches

Any more brain busters, [penis]?

14. InVolNerable

InVolNerable Fark Master Flex

Owen Daniels last year for AFC. 6'3".

Last edited: Mar 20, 2014
  15. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

But you just said (and she did too apparently) that one inch matters...

16. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

'Merica

17. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Fast doesn't really mean shit (unless you're Chris Johnson fast). Raijon was probably the fastest on the team last year and he was a very average running back.

18. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

I think the height thing is overrated. If he can play the position he can play it? Who cares what the "average RB height" is.

19. kidbourbon

More height = higher center of gravity = Less agility

The reason why one might care about the average height of an NFL running back is because it's not a coincidence. A certain body type lends itself to the position. Am I saying Hurd is doomed by his height? No, I'm most certainly not, and I hope he ends up being another example of a tall running back who nonetheless was awesome. But he would be an exception.

Nothing I'm writing here is particularly radical. Nobody's mind should be blown. Is it a coincidence that Pete Sampras, Roger Federer, and Rafa Nadal are all 6'1? No, it's most certainly not. That doesn't mean 6'1 is a magic number, and it isn't about the height. It's about the ability to move around the court and also the ability to hit with power...and 6'1 has turned out to be a sweet spot. John Isner will never win a major. And it isn't because he's 6'10, it's because his lateral movement is terrible. Guys can be really tall and also really quick and shifty and explosive -- Lebron James comes to mind -- but those guys aren't the norm.

20. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

A lot of dominating running backs have been big. The running back position is trending smaller though due to the increase in passing.