ESPN SEC Top Returning RB's in '15

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by zero-sum, Feb 4, 2015.

1. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

If you go watch the youtube clips of Hurd and Chubb from last season and can't objectively say that Chubb is a more talented back, I'm not sure what to tell you. You suck at evaluating talent I guess would be it.

2. Beechervol

Beechervol Super Moderator

If you want to ignore TNs OL and Qb situation then yes, stats and youtube clips favor Chubb. That wouldnt be objective in anyway tho.

Doesnt mean Hurd > Chubb or any of the other elite backs. But to think you can obviously put one ahead of the other by any substantial margin is not being very objective either.

3. Beechervol

Beechervol Super Moderator

You do realize Hurd wears #1 and not #15, correct?

4. justingroves

justingroves supermod

I'm watching a different game than you, I guess.

5. zero-sum

zero-sum New Member

I think the differential between the two is marginal but if I were to break it down then I see it something like this ...

Strength - Chubb However, the gap closes as Hurd will benefit more from the S&C program

Straight-line speed - Hurd

Acceleration - Hurd

Quickness - push

Elusiveness - push

Hands - Hurd is the better receiver out of the backfield

Pass Protection - Hurd

Reads - push

Gettiing to the next level - Chubb

Vision - push

I beleive Hurd will have more of an impact in '15. But again, both are outstanding 'backs

6. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

Yeah. I don't see that either.

7. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Chubb is a great rb, probably better than Hurd, but to say Hurd goes backwards and doesn't finish runs well is asinine

8. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

and Hurd is harder to tackle.

9. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

I can't. If I'm building a team, I take the guy I can move over to H and kill safeties by throwing at him.

10. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

My favorite thing about Hurd, I have to be honest:

[​IMG]

11. kmf600

kmf600 Energy vampire

And Worley makes a shitty throw so the tight end has to make an adjustment to the ball and makes a good catch.

12. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

Well I need to backtrack a bit now. I think he is decent at finishing runs the majority of the time. However, there are usually a few times a game where I think he is running WAY too high and he doesn't finish well at all. And there are usually a couple of times a game where he gets absolutely flattened. And it's just surprising to see from someone as big as he is. This isn't something that only happened once or twice this year, it happened once or twice a game. But admittedly I am letting those minority instances color myview of him a bit.

I think I was hoping for someone who finished like Lewis or even Henry. But he's not at that level. Of course, few are. When I dee Chubb I see future NFL pro bowler. When I see Hurd, I think he's good but not elite.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2015
  13. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

After rewatching some of his runs from last year, I definitely think he needs to work on his balance.

14. chavisut

chavisut Dan Mullen Fan Club President

We're seeing things very differently. Hurd absolutely punishes tacklers.

15. RockyHill

RockyHill Loves Auburn more than Tennessee.

Agreed. At times your like how did he manage to stay up, others he looks like Raijon Neal. With regard to that though sometimes his size is just a disadvantage that's always going to be there.

16. BigOrangeBeech

BigOrangeBeech Poster of the Month, July 2014 and recruiting guy!

Indeed. Not sure how that's getting missed. And he's only going to become more brutal as time goes on.

17. zero-sum

zero-sum New Member

To be fair, against quality opponents on a majority of run plays practically the moment Hurd took the hand off he was on his own improvising in an attempt to make a play and gain positive yardage from what usually amounted to a jail break by the defense. Conversely Chubb was afforded time to patiently wait for his linemen to set the block. Interested to see how Hurd performs after a yr of S&C and a "supposedly" stronger, improved o-line

18. justingroves

justingroves supermod

The only thing DeBord may improve here is the OL. It's what he did for a long time and he wasn't bad at it.

19. zero-sum

zero-sum New Member

I'm holding out hope that this is the case. Mahoney isn't getting it done.

20. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

He does punish tacklers ... at times. Bold is the hope.